[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: ] The Standard....and you as members

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 11:27:38 -0700

Why in hell was this even a topic for conversation enough to bring a vote?

Seriously? !00 years of this club in America, 100 years of trying to reduce
the incidence of this fault in our breed's genepool, and on the 99th year of
the Club, this Board decides to base a CONFORMATION Class on a Fault?

Why longcoats? Why not Missing premolars, or Light eyes, or long toes, or
lack of secondary sex characteristics, or any number of "faults" that are on
the same level as a longcoat? In essence by offering this class, you're
promoting the breeding of this fault.

I know who voted No. Good for you. I heard there were 3 missing board
members and I heard that 3 abstained. Those 3 that abstained - honestly? If
there ever was a time to take a stand on defending the Standard as written
and not promoting a class based upon a FAULT in said document, this was it,
and you didn't vote? And you guys that voted yes? Seriously? There can be
absolutely no explanation you can offer that would justify the betrayal of
responsibility of voting for a class like this. This sport is not about
Feeling Warm and Fuzzy and including every dog regardless of fault and
quality, this is supposedly about BETTERING THE BREED. 100 years we've been
trying to lessen the incidence of this fault in our breed - and in one fell
swoop, you just said, "hey, Build it and they will come." Makes me wonder,
how many of the Yes Voters are still breeding and placing long-coated GSD's
in companion homes. Or are these yes voters the ones breeding these litters
and getting coat after coat and saying, hey, we're missing the Money Boat on
this.

I'm not a member anymore, and don't plan on showing or breeding much if at
all anymore, so it really makes no difference to me - other than the fact
I've devoted 27 years of my adult life to the promotion of CORRECT by virtue
of the STANDARD and to be honest, I'm really damn disappointed in the Entire
Board that this was even entertained, let alone passed. Look for the
advertisements in the Review - Puppies expected by GCh Sir Promoted A lot
out of GCh Missy Carrying The Movement Load, COATS EXPECTED! Reserve yours
now! Woot!

And for all of you with the idea that this a good idea so that we can
include everyone? Seriously? Why not educate the judges to evaluate the
whole dog and realize that Long Coat is a fault only, And judge it
accordingly - but when we have people in the middle of the ring saying
things like "This dog works hard to get where he's going, doesn't have the
front of the second dog, is busy in motion" as he hands out the Major Point
Winners ribbon, and walks to the dog going Reserve and says to the handler,
"I don't like his ear" - 3 very serious faults against a soft ear (not even
mentioned as a fault) I guess WTH can we expect? Sad day in the GSDCA and
Sport of dogs - nearly as bad as Mutt Shows by the AKC.

Oh, and in case you're wondering - I told Mom what was done - her response
"Wow, they really must be desperate for entries!" That pretty much sums it
up.