[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The Standard

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 19:41:32 -0400

Well said, Jessica.

I am all for changing the Standard,  if and only if the change would serve to
improve the Breed in some way.

I've heard/read the argument that removing the white DQ will result in an
expanded gene pool.  Really?  In what way?   If the white DQ is removed, how
many breeders of standard colored dogs will decide to breed whites or
incorporate white dogs into their breeding programs?  There may be breeders out
there that will do this, but I believe they are in the minority.  Are there any
Board members who will incorporate whites into their breeding programs?  Just
asking...

Is the removal of the white DQ really going to generate more money for the Club
and the AKC?  If I'm going compete in this "sport," I want to WIN!   Why would
one show a dog with a SERIOUS fault knowing that the chance of winning is slim
to none?  Why would anyone intentionally spend money to go to a dog show to
lose?  Showing GSDs is expensive.  If I owned a white and couldn't win in the
AKC conformation ring, I would find other things to do with my dog.

Also, why are there a number of AKC breeds who have DQs based upon the total
amount of white allowed on the dog?  I.E. breeds like the Boxer or Vizsla.

PaulETTE McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Wellborn-Allemande German Shepherds
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam