[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The Revolving Door: State of the Union

  • From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx, freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 06:40:24 -0800 (PST)

Penny!...before I got into show dogs 10 years ago I had protection/working
German Shepherds...must have breed over 30 litters, I never had the problems
that seem to be around in this breed today...I did get hip problems, but never
a bad elbow , or mega esophagus, or bad hearts, or conception problems...I
don't know if the breed is in trouble or not, but as far a my personal
involvement with this breed...things sure ain't what they used to be..( maybe
its the RAW diet...lol).....Ed Hill
Penny & Bill <Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:   I love All-Rounder Shows. I love
Specialty Shows. Heck, I love dog shows! BUT...
in the last 10 years, I have bought dogs with heart problems, temperament
problems, hip and elbow problems, one that died of toxic gut (when I didn't
know what toxic gut was), dogs that bloated. These dogs were all different
blood lines. When I started in shepherds in the 70s, this did not happen.
Someone said to me about 3 years ago that my kennel was like a revolving door
with dogs going in, then quickly coming out. Maybe that's true, because I will
not breed or show a GSD with some of the problems that I have "bought." What
I've done is to find these dogs pet homes, where they've been neutered and can
live happy lives, without passing on their genetic problems. Breeding is a
scary business, which is why I do it infrequently. On the other hand, I have
bought other dogs, ones who were sound, structurally and temperamentally,
beautiful dogs that I've been proud to own and campaign. So I keep trying,
taking a chance. Sometimes it's hard to keep going. Those who insis
t that our breed is NOT in trouble must have rose-colored glasses on.
Penny in NY
POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original