[ SHOWGSD-L ] The Real Reasons for the Board's Actions About the Standard Changes

  • From: Lana Law <walflwr2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 09:07:55 -0500

On Jul 27, 2013, at 11:31 PM, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Msg: #10 in digest
> From: "Liane Fossland" <lfossland@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: QUESTION? motion relifed
> Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 21:30:35 -0700
>
> Has this whole world gone crazy. What are we, the members, chopped liver?
> Lee F.

The Board has NOT voted to change the standard.  All the Board has done was to
come to an agreement to the proposed word of possible changes to two areas of
the standard.  Once the board agrees on the wording, it is sent to the AKC for
approval of the language.  This does not mean it is automatically changed at
the AKC but it is then sent to the membership for a vote.  There is no point of
sending it to the membership for a vote if when spend the money for a vote by
the membership only to have the whole thing returned to us for wording changes.

What the board enacted yesterday WAS to be able to get the these proposed
changes before the membership for a vote.  If you are against these changes it
is certainly your right (and duty) to vote no, but do not accuse this board of
trying to sneak something past, or to subvert the membership.  What we went
through was for the exact opposite.  We wanted to follow the proper steps to
assure the membership has the ability to vote on this subject.

The first motion was defeated because many of the board members were confused
about the motion and voted against it thinking they were then sending to the
membership for vote.  This was immediately clarified and the motion put forward
for reconsideration.  This time it passed and now the proposed changes CAN be
put before the membership for vote.

After hours of conversations, arguments and heated differences of opinion in
order to get this before the membership, it is very disheartening to read post
after post vilifying us for basically trying to do exactly what many of you are
saying we should do.....get it before the membership for the vote!

Many who are now criticizing are basing their opinions on conversations that
have been relayed to them 2nd hand, without ever hear to meeting first hand.
If someone feels this passionately about the subject, they had the opportunity
to be on the conference call, listening to the reasoning.

If you have any questions about what transpired, please feel free to contact
me.  I always try to be available to the membership.

Lanalee Jorgensen