[ SHOWGSD-L ] The Perfect Day - at the herding clinic

  • From: TerraNorte@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 09:10:39 EST

Every once and a while there is a perfect day. When all the stars are
aligned, the birds sing and the wind gods take the day off. Such was yesterday
in
Northern Colorado along the Front Range of the Rockies (about 25 miles north
of The Ranch - site of the 2007 GSDCA National Specialty). A perfect day  for a
herding clinic with Cappy Pruett and several of my dog buddies.

Although I had arranged to have this clinic indoors, fearing  January's
normal below zero temperatures and wind chills - the warm  forecast persuaded
us to
use our regular facilities and we enjoyed  temps in the 60's, clear blue
skies and agreeable sheep. The clinic drew a good  crowd of handlers with dogs
(the majority being GSD's) and a bigger crowd of  auditors. We all learned from
each others handling finesse and lack  thereof. Cappy, though an Australian
Cattledog and Border Collie guy - has a  very good understanding of our noble
breed's herding acumen and working style.  He also has a good sense of humor
and
helped keep the day light and frustration  level down.

Carol Cochran and Owen are coming to a much better understanding that  while
he is a 100 lb dog and she only a little more - she is in  charge. Peg Rose
and Fran Henry, both auditing, agreed that they are  going to be participating
with their dogs at our next function.  Charlie Taylor was speechless as her boy
Caleb, quietly and  efficiently managed his sheep through the practice. Tag
and I are also  improving on the trust level - relying on his abilities and
less on sheer  will.

I think many of us are fair weather dog enthusiasts - only working on
obedience, agility, herding, a walk in the park on the perfect day. Just
remember -
sometimes those come when you least expect them. Like the middle of  January
in Northern Colorado.

~ Val Manning
    Terra Norte' GSD
    Northern Colorado Herding Cooperative