[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The National--- Showcase or Not

  • From: RChesnut70502@xxxxxxx
  • To: tanbarkgsd@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 14:39:34 -0400 (EDT)

As Paul Harvey would say, "And now you know the rest of the story".   When
the sod thing came on the list, I, like most of you, was  quite concerned
with the board or exc. committee had decided on spending  that much money on
something we didn't need.  If what Chris says in true,  and I have no reason
to doubt, I for one say get the damn sod.  Especially  when it will not cost
the club a dime.  What a deal!

Get the sod!!

Randy C.

In a message dated 9/15/2011 12:26:39 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
tanbarkgsd@xxxxxxxxx writes:
There  has been a lot of discussion regarding our yearly National, mostly
about the  location, this year about other issues as well.
To me personally, it  is THE show of the year.  Dogs from all corners of
the US and Canada  attend, whether it be in a performance venue or
conformation.  Since I  only show in conformation, I will only address that
side of it.

I  have been attending the National for more years now then I would like to
admit  on paper, and have had the privilege of competing on a National
level now for  the last several years.  Those that do not, or have not for
quite
 some time, might not see the importance in all the aspects that are
involved,  but those of us who exhibit, certainly look at things differently.

Our National is our Showcase Show of the year, it is what the Kentucky
Derby is to the Thoroughbred world, the Daytona 500 to Nascar, the  Masters in
Golf, etc etc etc.  It is a year long process  for the handlers, the owners,
and the dogs.

So, when I  heard last year that this National was on the AstroTurf, I
thought it was  because of the Event Center demanding that and not allowing
sod.
 Did not  think too much of it since we showed on AstroTurf two years ago
at  the St. Louis Futurity/Maturity weekend at Purina and the dogs seemed to
do ok on it. Unfortunately Diane Brown did sustain an injury that
sidelined her for 2 years.  About 3 weeks ago, I found out that it  was not the
Event Center but the Board that decided to use the Turf to save  money for the
Club.  That I also understand and still did not think too  much of it,
thinking it was the same Turf we were on in St. Louis.  Well,  it is not the
same
Turf, it is 12 years old, was used in Arena Football, and  is frankly worn
out.  When the Event Center presented this to the board a  few years back, it
was not presented as 12 year old arena turf.  They  also claimed that the
Doberman National was held on it, which again, was not  quite
presented properly.  They only used it for a presentation  ceremony but did
not do the actual exhibiting on the turf.  The Samoyed  club did, and there
were injuries to dogs and handlers.

The reason I am  addressing this is to say that there is still time to
correct this and  get sod in the arena, WITH NO COST to the club.  The sod,
installation,  and then final removal has all been taken care of.  When I heard

this I figured this was a no brainer, the board would jump on this, no cost
to  the treasury and the ability to insure that our National is what it
always has  been, the premier show of the year with dogs on grass, the way they
should be  shown.  (I do believe the P & P does state that the ring surface
 is sod, Zoe I'm sure can quote quickly word for word what it states)  But
to my understanding, the Show Chair and the President have not acted upon
this, and now time is getting critical.

I would like to encourage those  that feel the same way to contact the Show
Chair, President, Officers and  Directors to allow this incredible donation
to be put to use and have a safe  surface for dogs and handlers.  Keep in
mind the year long effort the  exhibitors have invested to show their dogs to
their best ability, so a proper  surface should not be too much to ask for.

Thanks for reading, I hope  you will make some phone calls or send emails,
there is still time, although,  it's getting pretty darn close.

Sincerely

Chris

Chris S.  (Jolley)  Kimerer
www.tanbarkgsd.com

Ch. Tanbark's  2MuchBling Joelle Aramist OFA H/E
Ch. Trotwood's Emerald v Tanbark  Joelle Aramist
AOE Sel.Ex.Ch.Carousel Farms Samantha, PT, TC OFA H/E
Ch.  CaralonQED JD Drew Bleibtreu, RN OFA  H/E