[ SHOWGSD-L ] The "Mothering Remedy"

  • From: Shofar Shepherds <shofar_k9s@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pruett@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 16:59:15 -0800 (PST)

Not so long ago, several people were discussing bitches that killed their own
litters, and I was wondering if anyone had tried Sepia?  Sepia is a homeopathic
remedy (not the same as an herbal remedy) known as "the mothering" remedy and I
know of several instances of bitches who ignored their puppies responding
quickly to a dose or two. I don't know about it having been given to a bitch
that killed their own puppies. Personally, I would not breed such a bitch, but
that's just me.
 I am a little hesitant to bring this up because homeopathic remedies are not a
magic bullet, and must be matched to the entire symptom picture in a being
displaying symptoms in order to work. But on the off chance someone is
interested, here goes.....

Sepia, or the extremely diluted and potentized ink of the cuttlefish, is
indicated for females who are showing an aversion to their families and those
closest to them. It works well on the female reproductive system,  According to
Macleod's Veterinary Materia Medica, Sepia may be appropriate for a wide
variety of conditions, including cystitis and pyometra. "It is capable of
promoting the maternal instinct in those animals which are indifferent to their
young" (143).  It seems to work best with brunettes (Boerike). I guess we have
plenty of them in the breed. <G>

Boerike's Materia Medica has a more complete remedy picture.

And here is the required disclaimer:
This information is  provided for information only, with no guarantee of
accuracy; it is not intended as a substitute for medical advice, nor as a claim
for the effectiveness of Sepia in treating any of the symptoms mentioned.  If
symptoms persist, seek professional medical advice - minor symptoms can often
be a sign of a more serious underlying condition. Homeopathic remedies are very
dilute, and while the homeopathic remedy may be beneficial, the raw product may
be harmful.

Anyway, it's been pouring rain all day today, and I'm tired of doing paperwork.

Leslye Morrow
Member GSDCA
Shofar Shepherds and Shelties

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs