[ SHOWGSD-L ] The Highest Highs and the Lowest Lows

  • From: "Melissa" <melanagsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 00:44:15 -0400

I was supposed to go to the Mid Atlantic on Memorial Day weekend but the day
before I was to depart she suddenly went down and couldn't get up. Sure she
was obviously older and slower - her 13 club certificate hadn't been here
long - but up until that morning she had still been guarding HER master and
home, sleeping in our bedroom as she had for 12+ years and running and
playing in the yard with the youngsters who had joined her as house dogs
when her brother Trevor passed last November after an extended illness - so
I refused to believe that it could possibly be TIME! We rushed her to the
vet, but my regular vet was on vacation and I had no choice but to accept
services of his partner. Blood work showed she had an infection and I wasn't
going to leave her there over a holiday weekend so we took her back home
with baytril, fluids, and prednisone. Hubby assured me that he would take
good care of her but there was NO WAY I could go out of town and have a good
time at a dog show when I knew she needed me most. For 3 days I gave her
round the clock care, for 3 days she would not even try to help us help her
stand or walk so she sometimes eliminated before we could get her 90 pounds
carried outside and I had to frequently change her make shift hospital doggy
bed we had to make downstairs. I cried, I begged, I pleaded, and I prayed
for a miracle. The morning of the 4th day, Memorial Day, I began telling
myself that as unexpected as it was, I needed to accept the time may have
come so I planned to be at the vet's the minute they opened on the following
day. That afternoon I was shocked and astounded when she walked up the steps
into the living room - very unsteady and wobbly but ON HER OWN! Around the
same time the call came in from the Mid-Atlantic that I had bred my first
BEST IN FUTURITY winner! Wow, what a Memorial Day it turned out to be!
She continued to improve and for the next 3 weeks she seemed pretty much
back to normal - until the Friday before Father's Day - and she suddenly
went down again. Back to the same diligent regiment and routine, and even a
call on Father's Day with news of a NE Reserve Best In Maturity winner. Talk
about deja vu!

...........................but this time no miracle came, and today I had to
say the most heartbreaking goodbye I've ever made.

Anna Von Brendahaus
February 4, 1995 - June 19, 2007
Loyal Companion, Devoted Protector, and inspiration for the "ANA" half of
Melana
Until we meet again "NahNah-Dog"