[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The GSD Show Dog method question

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: izakabuska@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 17:01:17 -0700 (PDT)

I tell my clients to grab two fistfuls of face, and push down.  Once the dog is
back on the ground, they get one short "good dog" and it is over, dogs decide
quickly that getting pushed back down just defeats their effort and they give
up.
However, I also recommend, very strongly, that you pretend to eat your dogs'
food before putting bowls down.  They believe they are getting your leftover,
it is even better if you are willing to spit into the food, gives the right
impression.

Also, if the dog is in a run, before taking the dog out of the run, step in and
close the door, make it your decision to take the dog out, not the dog pushing
to get out.  When the dog goes back in the run, take him all the way in, and
then let him off the lead, and step back out. If it is a house dog, never let
it through a door before you, always always always take the lead going through
doors, the bedroom too!  And when it is time to pee, you should go first and
set the stage for what is expected of the pack when they hit the grass.

I have more, call me anytime.  Alpha rolls are reserved for the toughest of
dogs.  And some jumpers have been so bad that they must be rolled a few times
to get the concept of being low dog on the totem poll.  But most get it with
just grabbing face, especially if you can catch them before they actually get
off the ground, and praising for the desired behavior.

Try these passive dominance methods, I have gotten miles out of them, they are
especially good for very submissive dogs, it is in their language, non violent
and very direct.

Hugs to one and all!!!!!
sheila