[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The GSD K-9 Ofc.

  • From: <kathy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 11:47:24 -0700

I realize most of the Malinois are wired a bit higher but the K-9 Ofc.,
Lundquist that had my K-9 Ofc., Bart shared some things with me on his
Minneapolis training field. That PD at that time used ALL GSDs. Then I
believe as time went on they've brought in the Malinois as well. They got
all of their GSDs from donations & the humane society with much luck. Sure
some didn't make the test. Lundquist would tell me in some of his training
sessions the GSDs would get so wired they would actually turn around & bite
their handlers if they were not careful. I would watch a lot of trials & a
lot of the handlers could not call their dogs off of a bit, or apprehension
chase when given. It would take the handler 2-3 times to make the command
happen. So if a K-9 Ofc., gets loose like this one below this is what can
happen. A K-9 handler has a huge job in controlling that dog 24-7 with each
second given. Just as we have that job as well.

Kathy Partch www.JoKaySedona.com

Msg: #1 in digest
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 05:33:09 +0000 (UTC)
From: edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx

Richmond CA. Today, About 35 miles west of my city a Richmond Police officer
shoots a Richmond police dog! Some how the dog got out of the car in the
police car lot and bit another officer, the officer shot the dog in
self-defense.....about 25 years ago many Bay Area police departments were
starting to use Malinois, incidentally one of Oakland PD's Mals bit TWO OPD
officers! At that time I trained my dogs with the SaN Jose police dogs! They
only had GSDs... The Richmond police dog was a Belgian Malinois... Dog is
okay, officer is okay.... The dog will be retired.... I think GSDs are
bettersuited for police work! Perhaps the Mals are better in the military
because of their superior "drive"...Ed Sent from Xfinity Connect Mobile App

---

POST is Copyrighted 2015. All material remains the property of the original
are permitted without prior permission of both the original author AND of the

Each Author is responsible for the content of his/her post. This group and its
any post. POSTS CANNOT BE USED IN A COURT OF LAW.

http://showgsd.org/mail.html