[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: "The 'Essence' of our Breed"...

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jackkilgour@xxxxxxx>, "list" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 23:31:24 -0400

Hi Jack:
   I used to ask a similar question of people all the time...it's amazing to
me how many people can't answer it....the most common reply is "type,
soundness, and balance," which necessitated another question..."can you tell
me a breed that doesn't require those things?"
           This is a subject I dearly love.......and what I have done in
recent years (maybe 10) is say "You are giving a seminar on your breed and
the bell goes off...time is up....the seminar attendees are out of their
chairs, headed for the door...and you stop them and say "Wait just a
minute...should you find yourself having to judge this breed tomorrow, here
are three or four clues that will get you thru it without making a fool of
yourself."  and ask the person "What are the clues?"

  I started trying to make it easy for new judges of any breed...and I ask
only 3 things:  Does it LOOK like a "whatever... then, does it ACT like a
The questions work for EVERY breed..provided the person being asked has
spent enough time around the breed.
  Just tonite I saw a photo of a Lakeland Terrier in a big magazine...with a
list of all its specialty wins........whoops...down at the bottom of the
page it says "A top winning Welsh Terrier."  (should have said
instead..."top winning handler, I guess)

     Yes, here we are to concern ourselves with German Shepherds....but the
problem of not knowing what a breed is about exists throughout the dog show
world..(the Doberman club just complained pretty publicly about Doberman
judges not understanding the breed)  and there are many, many people who
really have no idea what a GOOD German Shepherd looks like, acts like, or
how it should move.

Peggy