[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The Decline of Conformation

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ELG440@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 13:15:13 -0800

Conformation is definitely dying out.....but I do think you hit upon the
biggest reason
with the mention of costs.
It's too bad that this Sport has returned to a  "rich man's game".    It
started out that
way....then flourished when people began to breed, buy and show their own dogs
and
entire families were involved.
I can't believe that we are the only ones who struggle with justifying the
expenses.
The big, breeding, handler, training, dyeing, doubling Cartels will win in the
end maybe,
but it will be a real loss for them too when the rest of us all give up and
they are only
beating themselves in the ring.    They may soon notice no one is calling them
with a
good dog anymore....but only with a dog that NEEDS a Cartel to help it win.
<G>
The "other activities" can cost a lot too...but decisions often have to be made
according
to costs by most...or at least many of us.

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Interesting Decline Conformation

Conformation is dying out, because it just isn't as much fun as it used to be.
As we get older, we also get grumpy. It is expected and natural.

It is not one thing, but cost, time and effort are factors. Let's face it, when
you
pay $75.00 a class for a handler, $25.00 to enter, and show two dogs both
Saturday and Sunday, pay $80.00 a night for motels, $100.00 a weekend for
gas, and then $40.00 for food, you are talking about $740.00 for the weekend,
(I don't promise I got the math correct).  How many of us want to spend that
much for one reserve and a fourth place in a class?  Or, even two points?

 Also, there are so many other activities.  You can go to a museum, watch
a cricket game, drive to the mountains, or visit the Magic Castle.

It isn't the politics of the shows, the infighting at the club, or the
hostility of the club members.
We have lots of choices on how to spend out time and money. The dog shows
need to provide more of a reward, and personal satisfaction to us to survive.
Maybe the answer is free food?  Watch the Long Beach/Orange Coast shows.
Or how about mud wrestling, or pumpkin tosses.  Why can't we have a rib cook
off, or flower arranging at the shows?  We need more reasons to go.

Evan