[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The Croup

  • From: "Nancy Harper" <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 15:18:03 -0400

Well, I went back and pulled out several books and & articles on rear
conformation & structure and here is one description I came across.. 'REAR
CONFORMATION IN THE WORKING DOG" written by Bicardo Carbajal, Director of
the 1992 U.S.A. Sieger Show, the article was reprinted from Schutzhund USA
,he writes and I quote verbatim, the parenthesis are his:
"A correct dog with its leg in the extended position and hock perpendicular
to the ground will show two sets of parallel lines: the axis of the pelvic
bone (croup) parallel to the tibia (stifle), and the axis of the femur
(thigh) parallel to the metatarsus (hock)  This is shown in Figure 2"
(There is then a sketch of the GS showing the parallel lines)  The article
goes on to say
" These parallel lines are intimately related to angulation.  Parallelism is
retained through the entire range of motion of the rear leg during the trot
when the leg reaches the position under the body where it is bearing the
most weight and begins to push forward (see Figure 1), the bones are at
right angles to each other as called for in the standard.
     What follows then is a rule:  Given proper croup position and the hock
perpendicular to the ground, if parallelism is present then the angulation
of the retracted leg will always meet the standard.
     The retracted leg can be stacked adopting different angles, but the
hock can fall perpendicular to the ground in only one position.
     Bones don't move by themselves.  The position of bones is important
because it directly influences muscle action.  Muscle length and angle of
insertion are primary factors for efficiency.  Long muscles are better
suited for speed, while short muscles provide greater strength.  In German
Shepherds, muscles are neither very long (as in Greyhounds) nor very short
(as in Bulldogs); thus they provide a good balance between speed and
strength.
     The angle of insertion of the muscle into the skeletal frame is most
favorable when the line passing through the muscle and tendon is at a right
angle to the bone upon which it is acting".   End of quote.  This article
does go on for several pages.

I would be happy to send it to anyone that is might be interested.   A
couple of pages are missing but maybe I can find the others.

Everyone have a safe trip to the National
Nancy
Heinerburg Shepherds Since 1960