[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The Croup

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 17:21:44 EDT

In a message dated 9/6/2006 3:32:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx writes:
Could  somebody please explain to me the function of the croup?  Why it
matters if it is too long, short, or steep?
I've heard it mentioned  more than once that the croup has a good deal to do
with how the dog  moves, but never an explanation of why.

-  Jackie

I can't stomach a bad croup so I'll bite <G>.

An ideal croup is paramount for the rear assembly to function.  It  should
slope fifteen degrees, and should, along with other sections of the rear,
balance the fore assembly.

Here's a link;

_http://www.gsdca.org/Noframes/standard/Illo19.htm_
(http://www.gsdca.org/Noframes/standard/Illo19.htm)

If a croup is too long and flat and the dog lacks drive; it's back foot
falls/lands too far behind to be efficient; too steep and short and the dog
can't
open up properly behind.  (There are other things that when out of
proportion that can cause that too.)  Actually, I see a lot of short, flat
croups.
(Dog will lack drive).

Pet peeve....I hate a tail that looks like it was stuck on!  (Not  speaking
function, just hate that look!)

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_