[ SHOWGSD-L ] The Conformation Ring

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 18:16:01 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 9/13/13 2:41:09 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
gsdworkingline@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Is it  worth it to show myself? Will my dog get the same look if I present
it the  same?

Also, how do I teach my dog to trot out in front of  me?

I have finished about 25 dogs with me showing.

I have no talent. I learned by watching others. I never got a look at
first. I started to wear loud jackets. I tried to go slow, go fast, run up to
the judge, get bright shoes. I stared at the judge, I wore sunglasses, then
I took off my sunglasses. Nothing worked.

Then I got a good dog. I won. I went Select. I kept winning so long as I
had a good dog.  I started to win a lot with Dragonslayer and  Destiny.

Then I turned 70.  So, I found a nine year old kid who wanted to  handle. I
showed her what I did. She listened, ignored me a lot of the time, and
listened to everyone else.  People like Bill Basu, Bob Grady, Cindy,
Sharlonna, and so many others gave her instructions, which she sometimes  took.

She finished two champions of mine so far, has majors on two  more,  took a
group win,  and went Select at the National with  the champion she finished.

Summer was unknown.  Now she is not an unknown.

Show your own dogs. But, if you don't win, get a better dogs. The judge
wants to put up the best dog he/she can. The handlers want to handle the best
dog they can. But, if your dog is better you will win.

As to getting your dog in front of you, I used to get my dogs to trot at a
steady speed, then I slowed down. That works. Summer stays on their heads
most  of the time.  With some dogs they want to go, some don't.  You have to
adjust.  You need to know when you dog looks best, not just what you want
them to do.

And, ask the other handlers. They are great and will help if they can. They
 all used to help Summer. Now she is 12 and kicking butt. They still help,
but  not like they used to.

Evan L.  Ginsburg
gsyrfund.com
Asgard German Shepherds
_http://www.asgardgsd.com_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
Where Type  Movement and Temperament come  together