[ SHOWGSD-L ] The Cat Has Her Eyes

  • From: <kathy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GSDCA Showlist" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 13:40:04 -0700

The Cat Has Her Eyes

Just had a nice visit with my old time friend Jean in Mountain View, AR.
Jean is eighty and husband, Ed is seventy-four. Some time ago they adopted
an older Bassett Hound. They named her Sweetie Pie. A year ago they found
out she had glaucoma in one of her eyes. Using expensive eye drops didn't
save the eye and it had to be removed. The vet encouraged Jean and Ed that
Sweetie could live just fine with the one eye. Well, then some months later
the dogs other eye gets the same disease. Using the same medication didn't
save that eye either. Now, sad to say Jean just informed me that Sweetie is
totally blind.

About one and a half years ago Jean and Ed lost their old cat. Ed always has
had cats his entire life and loves them dearly. Ed found an ad in the paper
of an older lady who couldn't keep her cat anymore where she had to move. It
was some miles away for Ed and Jean to check out the cat out but said,
"Let's see what the cat is like." And off they went. The cat was a Maine
Coon breeding and very friendly. So Ed said, "Well take him!" The cat road
home all the way fairly well and fit into their lifestyle immediately. The
cat took to Ed like cream in coffee and follows Ed every place in and out of
the house. The Maine Coon loved the company of Sweetie but knew there was
something quite different about her.

Jean told me that the cat is Sweetie's eyes. And when Sweetie goes outside
Maine Coon pushes her all in safe directions and never leaves her side.
Maine Coon shows her the way back to the house and in some way tells her the
steps to the house are here! It was fascinating to hear how the cat cares
for this dog now. The dog acts totally happy. Sweetie doesn't seem to show
signs of concern for her blindness. Or at least doesn't show it like we
humans do. And the cat loves his job taking care of her.

Animals are simply AMAZING! Kathy Partch www.JoKaySedona.com

---