[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The Bully breeds....

  • From: Rbuffdogs@xxxxxxx
  • To: windwych@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 10:14:53 EST

In a message dated 12/14/2006 4:00:59 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
windwych@xxxxxxxxx writes:
For  anyone who has had someone attacked by a bully breed, PLEASE try to
understand  that it was the HUMANS fault who turned him into a menace; NOT the
dogs. I  have been attacked by a Golden Retriever!!! My friend was torn apart
by
a Lab.  Remember the woman in California who was killed by the Presa Canarios?
The  fault here lies with the humans who are breeding/training these dogs to
be  killers...not with the dogs themselves.
Dawn  Restuccia>>>>

Completely Right On...

I have been  menaced by a Golden, and was  bitten by a GSD who  was utterly
insane.    Even Ken, who is one of the best "dog men"  I have ever seen, said
he had never seen the level of mental disturbance that  was present in this
dog.  I watched a GSD bite a friend of mine at a  specialty show a few years
ago
FOR NO REASON other than my friend happened to be  walking within range of
this menace and its owner who was full of  excuses.

Do I blame the dogs?  No, I blame the owners that look the other  way "oh
he's having a bad day, oh he must have been abused as a puppy"  or  the others
that purposely encourage anti social behavior and do nothing to  stop it and
nothing to educate buyers about their breed.

Any dog can bite, mercifully the size of the dog mitigates
damage....although one of the nastiest bites I ever saw was inflicted by a
Scottie.

Breeders need to pay strict attention to temperament, ELIMINATE fear biters
from a program, EDUCATE YOUR BUYERS .   Breeders have a heavy  burden of
placing dogs with correct situations, and have to overlook the  monetary gain
or
loss......if a buyer goes to a breeder and is not educated  about the ins and
outs of a powerful breed then DON'T SELL TO THIS PERSON.   DOUBLY SO FOR THE
MACHO BUYERS....take puppies and don't walk , but RUN  away from that mentality.

PEOPLE made these breeds,PEOPLE must be forthright enough to tell a buyer
that a given breed is NOT for them, PEOPLE must have the fortitude to euthanize

the problem dogs, and not pretend they can band aid a dog with an aggression
issue, particularly a fear based aggression.  PEOPLE must be held
responsible....and the consequences must be HEAVY.

POWERFUL BREEDS must be treated with the same respect and gravity and
responsibility as a loaded gun. This is seen as an overstatement  until a
disaster
happens.....and we hear the lamenting of the owners.."oh  we had no idea"
HEAVY PUNISHMENT for dog attack......until the  owners are hauled in and jailed
and fined, this problem will not be alleviated  by anything like bSL

Kathy who will now go have some coffee, lol

_Victory German  Shepherds_ (http://www.victorygermanshepherds.com/index.htm)
 ~ WEBSITE UPDATED: Nov 13,  2006
Home of CH. ELVASTON'S NATIONS CUP, TC, OFA H/E DNA'D  "NITRO"
26 BISS/ BESTS OF BREED TO  DATE 2006 PACIFIC COAST VICTOR