[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The Belgian Herding Breed(s)

  • From: "pmick12" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 12:44:34 -0400

I was in Australia in 1991, right after Jacks were recognized there.  Real
Jacks, I mean, not anything like our Parsons.  Many of the long time terrier
men at the time said they would refuse to judge them.  I don't know what
happened...in all the shows I did during my 7 or 8 weeks in Oz, I only had
one Jack entered under me...
    The breeders I knew here (all horse people, not dog folks) called the
long-legged Jacks "the Irish ones."
    Then we got Parsons.  Hmmm.  I remember Ric Chashoudian, or someone like
him, saying "it took us 100 years to get Fox Terriers NOT to look like that,
and look, here we are."
    Now I understand the AKC is going to recognize the real Jacks, too.  I
don't know how many JRT people will be on board with that...the AKC is
recognizing anything that can bring in registration money.  When you
consider that the Cavalier people voted OVERWHELMINGLY not to
"go AKC," you know that it doesn't make any difference...if AKC wants, AKC
gets...even if no one else wants AKC.

    As a long time Cavalier owner and breeder (prior to AKC recognition) I
remain in the minority in the breed who believe that recognition did not do
Cavaliers any good at all.  Some might have better rears (not all, by any
means), but type has gone down the tubes and importing has grown by leaps
and bounds...and for what?  Some of the top winners in the breed are so
faulty it makes your head spin.................type faults more than
structure, altho those are there, too.
    Peggy