[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The American Humane Association should NOT be HSUS

  • From: "Paula Cooke" <psharp212@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 09:25:31 -0700

Read their copyright at the bottom of their home webpage and/or read their
mission statement.
Their legal entity is American Humane Association, frequently referred to as
the AHA.

Paula, 138 days and counting

the United States at www.hsus.org

They are different and distinct.

If you want one to be named as part of the thread then use HSUS.  I
personally have a problem with denigrating the American Humane--I also think
we should all have a problem in criticizing it.  American Humane has been
around since the 1800s.  It is involved in supporting the welfare of
children and animals.  I have been involved with them for some twenty years
and am very familiar with their work in child welfare.  They advocate for
welfare--particularly the welfare of children--in my experience.  They do
not show a position, on their web site regarding AB 1634.  They do not
advocate "rights" but they do fight "cruelty" to animals and children.  Read
their web sites--but read it closely.  They are "friends" of animals.

In contrast the Humane Society of the United States is a "new"
organization--it has only been around since the 1950s or 1980s depending on
how you look at it.  It includes many current/former PETA folks.  It
advocates that animals have the same "rights" as humans.  They would have
animals be no longer subservient to humans.  They do not profess a focus on
"welfare" they advocate "rights" for all animals.  They raise and donate
money in pursuit of the goals--freedom of animals--under whatever disguise
they works for them.  That is why it is so confusing--they are not straight
with us or anyone else.  They love to confuse themselves with the other
organization.  The more confusion they can create, the more likely they are
to raise more money.  They are active in disasters so they can raise money.
Their web site shows support for AB 1634.  They are the enemy--if there is
one!

It is very important to remember that the first rule of lobbying for/against
legislation is to know of what you are talking---If we are to talk about
this legislation, we should be clear what it is that we are talking about.

Tom