[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The American Humane Association

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: psharp212@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 01:48:45 -0400

Paula,

I have to disagree with some of what you have said here.  First, AB1634 is not
about animal cruelty.  It is about taking away our rights, as citizens, to
decide if and when to spay/neuter our dogs.  And, it's not just about
breeders.  This Bill does not allow for furture generations of working dogs,
law enforcement dogs, Guide dogs, and the list goes on.

There are laws on the books to address the animal cruelty issues.  In fact,
LAPD has an Animal cruelty task force.  I can't even begin to tell you the
arrests they have made and the reasons.  It would turn your stomach.  And,
even if that is your issue, how does animal cruelty or neglect effect the
over-population of dogs in shelters?  Two different things as I see it.  And,
to spay/neuter any animal before he/she even goes through teething is animal
cruelty in my eyes.

And, if you think organizations like the Doris Day Foundation aren't
extremists, think again.  I recently tried to help a couple replace a GSD they
had recently lost.  They got her from the D.D. Foundation 13 yrs ago.  They
went back there, thinking they would find another good dog, based on their
prior experience.  They never even looked at the dogs.  The were bombarded
with political crap from the moment they walked in.  They decided they no
longer wanted to deal with these folks.  Extremists?

I respect your views on Animal Welfare.  The vast majority of us want to see
everyone's dogs live a happy, healthy life with tons of love.  But, the Animal
Rights folks just want to see our ownership of said animals controlled, with
Government supervision.  That is not acceptable to me.

No, we shouldn't hate ALL groups.  We should do our homework on any group we
choose to support.  Like Fran said, we have all probably donated to an
organization that turned out to go against what what we believe.  I have.
And, I had to have my Dad pull my Mom's charitable contribution (after she
died) cuz I knew she would never have supported it had she known the true goals
of this organization.  That money is now being held in trust until the family
Foundation can agree on a suitable animal charity.  And that organization
gets fuzzier every day.  Is fuzzier a word, LOL!

My point is this.  We all agree that Mandatory S/N of shelter dogs or rescues
is a must.  There are so many alternatives to be considered that Levine, with
his tunnel vision, won't even consider.  We don't need extreme laws to change
things.  We need to come up with a compromise that provides for pet retention
rather than shelter over-population and does not punish responsible pet
owners.

Respectfully,

Laura Thomas