[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The 38 dogs, and a conversation with Charlene Marchand

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: rockylizard@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 09:58:34 -0500 (EST)

Be glad they didn't ask for you SS# to run a credit report....some do that
now.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions
visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a message dated 2/11/2014 9:47:22 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rockylizard@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I have a  big problem with the "adoption application" that this organization
makes  you fill out. How many pets? Jeez, I have a farm! Are they counting
farm  animals? What about my show rabbits...do they count as pets, or as
farm
animals? (IMO They're kinda halfway in between.) And they want to know  the
history of every pet anyone in the household has ever owned, and  what
happened to it. My daughters have both had pet rats for most of their
lives,
and yes, they've all died. Not because of any lack of care, but  because
rats
just don't have that long of a lifespan!

They want to  talk to every vet any of us have ever used, which especially
in
my case is  ridiculous because I've lived in this state less than 2 years,
and the vets  that I used for years are 1200 miles away from here and I
haven't seen them  for almost 2 years.

They want the death dates of all pets who have ever  died, and their causes
of death. If you've ever owned a pet that is no  longer in your house, they
want to know why and what happened to it. (Does  it count that I sold my
cockatiels and emu before we moved...??? Yes, SOLD.  *gasp* I didn't think
it
would be very kind to drag the birds 1200 miles in  triple digit
temperatures. So I sold them.)

They want to know if you  have allergies, and what kind. (Are you joking? I
am allergic to cats,  dogs, and horses, among other things...but I have 2
house dogs and 2 horses  and it doesn't bother me! Do I want to share my
medical history with these  people? I realize they're asking about pet
allergies but I either lie and  say NO or I say "yep I've tested positive
for
an allergy to dog dander..."  And then what?)

And...the real kicker, and the real reason I won't ever  be approved even if
I bothered to fill out their invasive application, is I  have two intact
livestock guardian dogs who are outside keeping the  coyotes, feral dogs,
and
bobcats off my sheep, 24/7. Yes, they have access  to shelter, of course
they
do. Do they use it? Not often. They don't have  access to water 100% of the
time, we've had a cold snap recently and the  water has been freezing. Of
course I go break the ice and give them fresh  water frequently, but like
the
rest of my livestock, there are periods of  time in sub-freezing weather
that
they don't have water. They get fed once  a day, so they don't have access
food all the time, either. They aren't  fixed, and I don't have any
intention
of fixing them, because coyotes and  feral dogs don't find neutered dog
"marking" impressive at all. My dogs  will fight if they have to, but I
don't
WANT them to fight, I want the  coyotes to smell their territory markings
and
realize "jeez there's a 120+  pound Big Daddy Dawg here, maybe I'd better go
someplace else!"

I  also have a huge problem with early spay and neuter. IMO, dogs should
NOT
be fixed until they are completely adult, as in completely done growing  and
filling out. I don't know a single shelter or rescue that is okay  with
adopting out even a young dog, like 6 months old, that hasn't been  fixed.

So between my inside dogs (my two pet German shepherds) and my  outside dogs
guarding my sheep, they'll see I have 4 big dogs (two of them  are huge,
actually) and that two of them are intact and outside 100% of the  time, and
I'm positive my application will go in the DO NOT APPROVE EVER  list.

So...while I am grateful for rescues and shelters and what they  do, I don't
see myself ever being allowed to adopt a rescue dog.

We  are starting the search for a German shepherd puppy to add to our home
this  year, but I don't think it'll be a from a rescue or a shelter...  :P

JMO....

Liz in OK (formerly known as Liz in  UT)

------------------------------

Msg: #7 in digest
From:  "Rbuffdogs ." <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 19:19:41  -0800
Subject: The 38 dogs, and a conversation with Charlene  Marchand

THIRTY NINE GSDS..NEW YORK FEB 9, 2014
I had a long  conversation with Charlene Marchand, who is right in the
middle
of the dogs  , 39 rescued in NY. She is AN EXHIBITOR, A PARENT CLUB MEMBER,
BREEDER.....this is a small no kill, breeder -friendly  shelter.
Regarding the GSDs rescued on 9 Feb.. This is NOT a case of Animal  Control
on a rampage...NOT....
Authorities received complaints  about the residence..apparently valid.
See  video
http://www.news10.com/story/24681996/animals-in-durham-found-in-poor-conditi
on
terrible.
ALL  DOGS SURRENDERED BY OWNER WHO IS CURRENTLY IN CUSTODY. REPEAT  OWNER
SURRENDERED DOGS.   Owner doing business Dawn Jagr aka Dawn  Verdesch
Some dogs dehydrated in need of IV, all very thirsty, etc.  Many of us in
the fancy know the owner / breeder, and our hearts must go  out to her. This
could happen to almost anyone. (Please if you need help  contact the fellow
GSD fanciers or the Parent Club!!) Reaching out can  often stop escalation
in
such cases..any of us at any time might need a bit  of help.
The shelter is NOT adopting out dogs to just anyone..they want GSD  people,
first , if possible The dogs all exhibit excellent temperament and
character
and all are doing well.  This is a non prof , shelter...NO  KILL... they
could use some help , not only monetarily, but in getting dogs  to real dog
people,  esp GSD  people. DONATIONS FOR CARE  SINCERELY APPRECIATED. If you
would like to adopt (there are mostly  bitches) please contact the shelter,
and attn: Charlene  Marchand.

*Kathy*
*"Victory...*Vires et  honestas"

POST  is Copyrighted 2014.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.

http://showgsd.org/mail.html

http://showgsd.org/mail.html