[ SHOWGSD-L ] The 2008 National - Adventures, Mayhem and Foolishness

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 18:39:28 EST

Congratulations to all the winners.  May you enjoy your wins and don't  let
anyone take that pleasure away from you.  I hope the constructive  criticism
offered here in no way hampers your joy, as it is directed to those in  charge
to make things better.

We are finally home from the Beaumont National.  While there:

Ben and Joan lost their beautiful dog, please send them your sympathies,
this was a freak incident, and sadder yet that it happened to the nicest
couple.
 My heart goes out to them.  Theresa Royer about lost an  ankle, yet there
she was running her Special on Saturday. You are  determined.  Kay Springer
nearly cracked her head open. That's gona leave a  mark.....hope you are
feeling
better.  Nancy Harper was robbed at the  hotel.  What is this game coming to?
Donna's room flooded, Olivia was  all worried about her laptop and her
homework. Like any good kid, who wants to  do homework twice?!?!  LOL  Jack
Kilgour
suffered a bad fall,   hope you heal quick.

I was ran over at the stalls, have my head, neck and back paying for  it.
Freak accident for sure.  Thank You Kris Fasano for checking up  on me.

Beaumont was an adventure........

Wednesday went on forever......but everyday after things started on time.
Good things, 'cause lights were out at 7 pm.

We almost froze standing around, but it was warm in the middle of the  ring.
Keep the handlers and the dogs cool. We'll bring a coat next  year.

Too many empty seats. Why even bother paying for a seat, you could pretty
much seat anywhere you wanted.  Evan had the California crowd right behind
him......literally. <G>

Some hotels got broken into, while we were trying to break OUT of our  hotel.
What a dump!  My daughters room door was forced open, and our AC  unit was
leaking gas.  My husband strong-armed arrangements and we moved to  a different
hotel. I wouldn't pay $10 for either place in a normal world.

That was the good news.

I cant say much about the judging of the Specials. I spent nearly 4   hours
watching the male Specials individuals and scribing.  Went to the  stalls and
got hurt, was out for 15 minutes and missed the exodus.  I  know, I know, the
judge most likely had found what she was looking for, but once  again, this is
the NATIONAL, where we are supposedly showcasing the dogs for the  entire
fancy. The fancy that is getting smaller every year, and the  frustration keeps
growing.

Written critiques are not uncommon. In fact, I believe they serve a  purpose,
when accurate. In other organizations these are done the day before,  thus
saving the actual day of competition for the animals to get worked and  judged
on their endurance and conformation, according to the standard.

I was really surprised, as I know this judge feels very strongly about the
contribution of the males to the breed, and expected they would be worked a LOT
 more.

Most people I talked to spent a year getting the dogs in condition for them
to be worked for a long time.  We expected lots of gaiting, and lots of
walking.  Huge disappointment, and that was the general consensus, people
wanted
to see the dogs being worked, being competed, and it didn't  happen.

I think the Parent Club needs to determine the procedure to be used at the
National, to guarantee that the exhibitors and the spectators leave with a
sense  of accomplishment and satisfaction that has been missing for a few
years.
I spoke to the AKC rep, who was being bombarded with questions, and she was
reassuring everyone that everything was within AKC rules. She also stated that
 the actual procedure for Specials can be determined and set by the Parent
Club.

Then into the ring come the female Specials.  The procedure went  pretty much
the same, as far as the scribing, but they were worked quite a bit  more,
specially the last ten, who kept going around while the 5th thru 10th
placing's
got evaluated. At least that's what it looked like from the  seats.  I have to
admit, I had a hard time figuring out what was happening.  Specially when ALL
the bitches got back in the ring, in band  formation.  Of course, I got hit
on the head, so maybe that's my  excuse.  We missed the dinner, Pablo was
worried I was going to end up in  the hospital, but alas!  that didn't happen.

The Winners Bitch had huge crowd support, and it was very exciting to watch
her go all the way to GVx.

The disappointment was palpable at ringside, after the judging. Not much
celebrating, not much excitement, not much of anything.  That is pretty  harsh,
and difficult to accomplish, considering how passionate we are as a  group.

So, on to Ohio.  Lets  hope we are pleasantly surprised.

Ileana
Holiday needs. Search Now.
-aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)