[ SHOWGSD-L ] The 2006 National, a week to remember - Day 1

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 18:25:56 EDT

The 2006 National.........a week to remember - Day 1

So here we are, it is Wednesday morning and we arrived at the National,
after getting lost a couple of times thanks to the wonderful directions from
Mapquest.  I hear many had the same problem, and there were no "Dog Show"
signs.
Those probably got stolen, along with the shavings from some of the  stalls.
There is always one on every group....<G>  Thanks to  Gail Hardcastle and
Erin Nellis for rectifying this promptly. You gals  rock!  LOL

We arrived at the show site at 7:50 am, there was some confusion as to  the
stewarding scheduling, and as it turned out I didn't have to steward  until
Futurity/Maturity, so I quickly changed from nice clothing to doggie  clothing,
and with total comfort took care of my dogs, set up my stall and  then sat down
to watch the puppy classes.  My hubby was happy he  didn't have to do
it.....I live to please him.....LOL

I remember bigger entries at previous national, but the lack of numbers
surely was no reflection on the quality of the dogs exhibited.  My husband  was
shaking, I saw a lot of puppies I would've taken home that day.

Both Dan and Jamie (who looked lovely) did a bang up job with their  classes.
Kudos to Dan, who we knew could handle the National assignment, and  more
Kudos to National judge newcomer Jamie, who proved that there are new  judges
this arena who CAN do the work.

I hate to say it, but that day went on FOREVER!!  Too many things  scheduled
for one day, too many breaks. It was 9:30 PM when we finally left the  arena.
We were the last people allowed into Chilis, and I had such a headache  all I
wanted was a cup of soup.  As much as I loved their boneless buffalo  wings,
you KNOW I was sick.

If shortening a day is going to make the rest of the days at the National
this long, we need to bring back Tuesday. This day was WAY too long for people
and dogs, and many had to wait until after the Maturity to work their dogs for
 the next day.  Some of my friends didn't even get out of there until  11pm.

The whole day is a blur to me today.

There was an error in the ring.  The working dog exhibition, where  everyone
clapped because Pres. Lew was brought down by a schuthzund dog, was fun  to
watch. BUT, someone forgot to close the ring, and the 12-18 classes were not
staggered, these pups were shown on a full ring, which added to the delay. I
heard some heads were going to roll, so I kept checking and making sure mine
was
 still on.  It wasn't my fault, but you never know.....I've been blamed for
plenty I haven't done........<G>

The vendors were set up right in front of the ring, with lots of  good stuff.
 There were complaints from the last national at that  site, because the
vendors were in the dirt. There were complaints from this year  because there
was
not enough room to double handle, since the vendors took a lot  of the space.
I don't have an answer for this problem, but seems neither  situation was
good.  As if the National committee needed one more  thing to worry about. But
something must be done to keep people, little kids and  dogs from getting
trampled.  Someone suggested the novel idea of training  the dogs to go all the
way
around.
Surely it cant be that simple...........cant it ?!?!?!?  More on  training
later.....

On a positive note, there was only one food vendor, but the food was good.
Lots of fast food, just made, the lines could get long, but a total improvement
 from last year. They didn't sell Coke products.  Booh!  No biggie, I  got a
cooler and Cokes for the rest of the week.  If every problem was  this
easy.......

Ileana