[ SHOWGSD-L ] That's how I roll

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "ELG440@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 16:12:47 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 5/21/2014 11:06:16 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

The part that gets a bit old Evan, is people who continue  to drink the
purple Koolaid and tell the rest of the world "oh.. she's just  bitter,
everything is just hunky dory."

I have always enjoyed Coolaid. I used to drink it all the time. I  seldom
drink carbonated drinks, and I don't do alcohol. So, I like Coolair, and  for
me, everything is pretty good.  I hate being an old fart, but I accept
what I have caused.

--  how many members does this GSDCA now
have?
I never kept count of the members, all I know is that many of my  friends
are members, and many are not. It doesn't effect me how big the pond I
choose to swim is, just how deep is the water.

How many dogs does it take to create a major?
Again, I usually look at the entry, check the catalog and then  decide if
it is a major.  A number of shows don't make it, and the   other weekend we
had majors on both sides. That is about how it always  was.  The AKC changes
the number, and keeps the effort to finish about the  same. I have one bitch
with both majors, and another with one. I hope to finish  them both, but it
still isn't easy.  That is what makes it so much  fun.

I  just looked at the
point schedules across the country.  For regions on  the continental USA, a
3
pt major in dogs is a low of 6 and a high of 11,  for bitches -- a low of 8
to a high of 13.  The average rounded up: 8  males/9 bitches.  For a
MAJOR???
Who cares?  Just look at the number who finish each month, the  same as it
always has been. I never did like getting home at ten o'clock from a  show,
and I don't care what the point schedule is, I am going to try to win  under
it. What do I care how many dogs it takes?  I only care how I can win  the
points.  If it means I have to beat 100 dogs, I will try. If it means I
have to beat 10 dogs, I still will try. That is the system I choose, and so far
 it seems the same.  Except I get home earlier to watch re-runs of
Gilligan's Island.

Then you look at the point schedules of other breeds --  in a lot of
regions.. some "rarer" breeds have higher point majors than  GSD's do?
I don't see how what others breeds do, has any impact on  me.

The GSD  has enjoyed immense popularity for years.  According to AKC
statistics,  the GSD has been in the top 5 of breeds since 2003 -- and number 2
in
 registrations for 2012 and 2013
That has nothing to do with the AKC shows. Most people don't show  dogs. We
have to be about ten degrees off plumb to enjoy this, but then again, I
never did understand those who love quilting.

--- and  it takes 8/9 to make a major?  I
checked the number 1 and the number 3  dogs -- their numbers are at least
25-50% more to make majors -- They still  actually need numbers over 40 for
5pt majors, while 5pt majors in GSDs  --the highest is 27.. the average is:
18 dogs/18 bitches.

I miss the point.  We set a standard. We try to meet the  standard. We get
judged by how well we do that. The points are only a system to  reward us
for success. If you think it is easier to finish a German shepherd  than a
Collie, talk to the Collie people.

Pretty sad for our breed, and so disastrous for tabulations --  how can
anyone compare the ROM points gained by dogs of yesteryear's  progeny..
when 3pt majors took 3 or more times the animals with this?   When a "big" show
was as big as what some recent Nationals have  been.
Talk to those who have shown in Specials at the Nationals and not  gone
Select. Talk to those that have the strength of character and the funds to
show at the current shows. Talk to those who get to brag they finished their
dogs.  Then you will hear how disastrous it is. NOT!

Smoke and Mirrors, putting one's head in the sand, and wearing  rose colored
glasses all the while dismissing anyone who has the temerity  of speaking
the
blunt and honest truth as someone who's opinion should be  disregarded
because they are "bitter" -- is pretty much what I expected --  but the
straight goods are.. you can live with your illusions, or you can  just keep
defending whatever "this" is.

As a past professional magician, and with a great grandfather,
grandfather, aunt, uncle, mother and myself as illusionists, I find that
interesting.
I find nothing about the sport as being less than a real challenge,  a
chance to win, the ability to enter or stand back. To me there is nothing more
real than entering into competition and seeing who can win.  Not being
involved and then dismissing it, seems a bit naive.

I'm signing my post this time.. just so anyone who wasn't able to  read
"showgsd-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; on behalf of; Kathaleen  Strong
[inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]" on their email knows who the "nothing  worse
than
someone who no longer shows or breeds" person  is:

While I didn't see Kathaleen's name, I knew who she was. She  remains one
of my favorite persons, and someone who had great success with the  breed.
She bred some great dogs, and was someone I always tried to learn from. I
respect her opinions, but do not agree with them on the point of our current
sport.

But, we all should listen to Kathaleen. She has a great deal of  knowledge,
and her opinions will always  have value.

Evan

http://showgsd.org/mail.html