[ SHOWGSD-L ] Thanksgiving

  • From: NHANSBURG@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 12:31:38 -0500

 Every year at Thanksgiving we make some kind of donation to the needy. It is a
family tradition. It began in the 1940's when I went out with a wagon to
collect cans of food for the dock workers who were on strike and had no income
for months.While I was in school I always invited someone home for the holidays
our choir always gave a concert

   While teaching in Bedford Stuyvestant I brought several children home for
the day. These children came from families who were living ten people to a
room.Later i would donate clothing to the womans Abuse centers in various
cities across America.

   While teaching in Bay Ridge we collected cans of food and every class bought
a turkey and decorated a basket. These baskets were donated to the neediest
neighborhood families.

   Every year I make a donation of goods and time to the salvation army. The
time is usually several hours either at the soup kitchens or down by the stores.

   I started making some donations to the area of dogs a
bout ten years ago. Bogs of food for some of the shelters. Pictures for the
rescue calendar and finally the 9/11 poster.This year I donated five days of
time(2 for driving) and five majors.