[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Thanks/Toxic Gut

  • From: gsd0110@xxxxxxx
  • To: lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 12:49:28 -0500

To date three concerns(or camps) have been put forward as possible cuases with
other possible triggers. Some folks land strongly into one or the other.

A) Genetic
B) Structure
C) Food/Diet

For me I'm squarely in the middle for now, I've not seen enough evidence to
push
me one way or the other. As an example Kathy may have more knowledge then I
about particular lines, which of course she can't share publicly. And I may
have
information about some others, that she does not have. As my wife Sheila often
says, until the window has been OPENED and the fresh air blows through we are
guessing about a great deal.

Regards,

Mike,

There is little doubt, in my mind, ?that all these issues... Mesenteric
Torsion, SIBO, bloat/torsion, and Toxic Gut Syndrome are related.? And I
believe that all the factors you indicated as well as (4) bacterial infection
and disease (5) vaccination protocol, are responsible to a degree.?

Every time I hear someone say.... this never happens in my lines...ie. my dogs
don't bloat.... I've never had mesenteric torsion... toxic gut... ect? I get a
funny feeling in my stomach... not because I am jealous but because I know they
will be devastated when it happens.?

Instead of getting more holy than righteous... when someone says... "I've had
GSD for 20 years and I've never had that..." we need to be asking what they are
doing that "we" are not doing...? Do they feed differently... follow a
different vaccination regimen....do they use a particular suppliment....?? And
they should understand that even though their dogs may have LESS of a genetic
propensity for these problems that some others of us.... IT CAN HAPPEN EVEN TO
THEM.

I had a Am/Can Sel Ch in whose pedigree I couldn't find a dog with gut problems
in 5 generations (none,zero,nada).... BUT every progeny of that dog that I am
aware of was affected by bloat/torsion, toxic gut... ect.? It was no problem
eliminating him from my present lines because all his progeny I had kept
died.... I was shocked because I thought he was "safe".? He lived to be 13 and
never even hinted that he might have a sore tummy....

There is no such thing as... my lines don't carry that, people.... no such
thing!? If you have never lost a dog to any of these ailments?then you possibly
have dogs that can be of value to us all... We need to be aware of your good
fortune... we need to know what you do to care for them.... But be aware that
it CAN happen to you too. And it isn't necessarily that stud dog you bred to.

I believe that I have bettered my chances over the years by the things I do to
protect my dogs.... But, rest assured, I have not eliminated the problem in my
lines or any others.

Gary Lewis
Garter's German Shepherd Dogs
Home of:
RMB Lisa of Fran-Jo Anne-Isle ROM (#1 Producer 2006)
BOM Ch Yankee of Fran-Jo Anne Isle

This is a great discussion, and far from a war ;-) amongst folks that are
highly
concerned about the future of the breed.
There are many strong opinions about the gastrol intestinal issues in german
shepherds(I certainly have one).