[ SHOWGSD-L ] Thanks for demodex Help - Info for others

  • From: "Katherine Heckman" <KHeckman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 09:37:15 -0400

Listers,

Thank you for all of the information about the ways you have treated
demodectic mange.  Many have asked for the responses, so here it is.

The overwhelming majority have treated localized spots with Goodwinol
Ointment.
It was also suggested to use Rid shampoo (for lice) to dab it on with a
cotton ball & repeat in 1 week.
A few still use mitaban dips, or oral Ivomec
1 suggestion was to apply Ivomec paste for horses to the affected area.
Another suggestion was olive leaf extract (found in health food stores)
There were others, but these were the most interesting.

I was however surprised to find a few people that thought Demodex was
transferred by coming into contact with a dog that had it.  It is not.
Sarcoptic mange however is.

It was also pointed out that demodex usually shows up when the immune
system is depressed or under stress, and that supplementation would be a
key.  I have found a product called Nupro, at a listers recommendation,
and I think, it would be good to supplement any dog on commercial food
with this product. (JMO)

So, I ordered the Goodwinol ointment, and the NuPro, and as soon as it
arrives, I will start with both.  For anyone interested, you can order
them both from, Revival Animal Health, at
http://www.revivalanimal.com/default.asp?bhcd2=1158932047
I will let you know how it works for us.just for future reference.

Thanks again to those that helped!

Kathy H.
& Annie the water dog.