[ SHOWGSD-L ] Texas

  • From: stormy435 <stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 08:59:21 -0800

Begin forwarded message:
Dog Law Alert: State of Texas

Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:56 pm (PST)

Dog Law Alert: State of Texas

TELL EVERYONE ABOUT THIS ALERT!!
TexasDog Owners ? your dogs need you NOW!

At press time, these bills have been introduced:

* SB 634 -- Eliminates any legally acceptable means of tethering and requires a
minimum kennel size of 150 SF per dog,.
* HB 458 ? Allows your county to limit the number of dogs you may legally own,
even if you live in an unincorporated area with no deed restrictions.
* SB 554 ? Defines many common items as dog-fighting paraphernalia.
* HB 925 ?Defines a ?pit bull? as dangerous enough to prohibit minors from
caring for them. This is a breed-specific bill.
*
* ?..and at press time, these bills are being lobbied but are not yet
introduced:
* Allowing cities and counties in Texas to pass breed-specific legislation.
These cities have passed resolutions stating that they want to be able to ban
or restrict certain dog breeds when the state allows them to do so: Frisco,
Watauga, Garland, Mesquite, DeSoto, Duncanville, Cedar Hill. In the last two
sessions, Houston has tried to pass a state law that would allow Houston and/or
Harris County to have BSL.  In 2007, Madisonville had passed illegal BSL but
removed it. Fort Worth, San Antonio and Hidalgo all have indicated to the news
media that they are thinking about passing BSL if state law allows.
* Commercial kennelregulations that include hobby breeders. We have heard of
numbers as low as four intact bitches (whether being bred or not).

We are also helping to introduce a bill that allows citizens to appeal seizures
in animal cruelty cases. Currently, people are at the mercy of incompetent or
biased justices with no right to appeal.
The session only lasts until June 1, so the fight is on NOW.
For the latest on Texas legislation that affects you and how to get involved:
www.LoneStarStatePitBullClub.com <http://www.lonestarstatepitbullclub.com/>
www.lsspbc.com <http://www.lsspbc.com/>
or call (570) 796-6641
All Texans need to call, write, fax and visit our legislators but
unfortunately, this is not enough! It costs money to hire lobbyists to advocate
for us in Austin and to pay attorneys and expert witnesses.

A fund earmarked for Texas has been set up at the Endangered Breeds Association
(EBA).Every penny counts and goes directly to fighting for our rights.

* Donate to the EBA Texas Fund via PayPal at: www.lsspbc.com
or  www.endangeredbreedsassociation.org
<http://www.endangeredbreedsassociation..org/>  Indicate ?Texas Fund? in the
notes.

* Mail checks to:  Endangered Breeds Association - Rt. 1, Box 71 Gore, OK
 74435.   Indicate ?Texas Fund? in the check memo.

We thank you and your dogs thank you.

-- Lucretia Ashcraft, Laura Dapkus, JoAnne LeBlanc
    Your EBA board members from Texas.

American Dog Breeders Association Inc.
P.O. Box1771
Salt Lake City, Ut. 84110
(801)-936-7513
www.adba.cc <http://www.adba.cc/>

ADBA respects your privacy. We never rent, sell or exchange email addresses for
any reason.

--
Stormy Hope
carpoc.org