[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Tests required for stud dog / brood bitch

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <DOGSRLUV@xxxxxxx>, <inquestgsd@xxxxxxx>, <adonispersian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 13:54:17 -0800

Like Debbie I would not insist on a DM test at this point in time.
C.B. an absolute MUST.   Mycoplasma also..but takes 10 to 15 days
to get results back on that one... needs at least 10 days for
treatment.   There is NO TREAMENT for Canine Brucellosis!!
You will have no puppies if either male or bitch is affected with
either of these ... AND both can ruin their breeding 'career'.
Vaginal cultures can be done when she comes in season or just
before...and still have time left to treat her if there IS any signs
of abnormal growth.   VC results is typically about 4- 5 days.

Usually the stud is tested before being at public stud, and if a
stud owner is careful about the bitches coming in for natural
breedings being tested ( with proof ) he will also be kept clear.
A bitch is bred ( typically ) once a year...sometimes twice a year
and typically 4 ~ 5 times in her lifetime.
Mr. stud however ....
is used a lot more often if he is a good one,  and is often having his
semen tested with A.I.'s and shipped fresh chilled semen all the time
and therefore he is pretty much being tested all the time.
you cannot expect a stud owner to run tests on him every time he is bred.
Wouldn't work anyway as he is often being 'used' in the time frame between
tests results anyway.
Stud owners are dependent upon the bitches being cleared that come to him
to keep YOUR bitch safe and the next bitch coming in safe...as well as the
stud dog!  Bitch owners must abide by the requests of stud owner to utilize
their stud dog.

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

----- DOGSRLUV@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Tests required for stud dog / brood bitch

I would require, in addition, on bitches is a current BC Test once in
season, also, Microplazma(sp?) with in 2 months of breeding (because this
test
takes a few weeks to come back. I personally at this point would not require

the  DM test but that is just me, because I am not convinced it is
accurate.  I  would get my stud dog tested so if people want to put stock in
it then
they have  the info.

Both Microplazma and BC  are uncommon but devastating if you get them
(especially BC)  If all bitches are tested right before breeding to the
stud
dog then the stud dog might be able to get away with once a year OR if
there
is any change in sperm quality.

Just some suggestions.
Deb

In a message dated 3/8/2013 11:40:38 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
inquestgsd@xxxxxxx writes:

Ok, this  is what we have been told:

-on males
-hips and elbows
-sperm  count
-yearly check up and CBC (complete blood count)
-yearly  Brucellosis
-DM clear
-Thyroids (normal)

-on bitches
-hips  and elbows
-DM clear
-vaginal culture
-yearly Brucellosis
-Thyroids (normal)
-yearly check up and CBC (complete blood  count)

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 8, 2013, at 2:08 PM, angela  scott <adonispersian@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I was told by a  reproduction Vet that Brucellosis test within 6 months
of mating...I have been  told it is recommended to xray hips and elbows to
be
considered a "reputable  Breeder" but thats just word of mouth...angela
scott
> Angela  Scott
> Adonis Persians &
> Orion German Shepherds
>

>> CC: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> From:  inquestgsd@xxxxxxx
>> Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Tests required for  stud dog / brood bitch
>> Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 12:19:57  -0500
>> To: cherlyngsd@xxxxxxxxx
>>
>> Please  post on the list. Now I  curious.
>>
>> Sent from my  iPhone
>>
>> On Mar 8, 2013, at 11:57 AM, Lyn Chernak  <cherlyngsd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi  All
>>> Can you tell me what tests you require on a bitch prior to  being bred
to your male and what tests are done on the male prior to breeding  to the
bitch.

===========================================================================>
> POST is Copyrighted 2012.  All material remains the property of
the  original author and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or
FORWARDS of  any kind are permitted without prior permission of the original

author AND of  the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

>>> Each Author is responsible for the content of his/her  post.  This
group and its administrators are not responsible for the  comments or
opinions
expressed in any post.

>>>  ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN
ANY  MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS

===========================================================================>

===========================================================================>
POST is Copyrighted 2012.  All material remains the property of
the  original author and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or
FORWARDS of  any kind are permitted without prior permission of the original

author AND of  the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

>> Each  Author is responsible for the content of his/her post.  This group
and  its administrators are not responsible for the comments or opinions
expressed  in any post.

>> ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE  FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN
ANY MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON  SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS
PERMISSION OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE  LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY
FORBIDDEN, AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS  OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE

PROSECUTED.