[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Testing for DM

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: misshereford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 09:08:08 EST

In a message dated 12/10/2006 7:06:05 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
misshereford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I  received the following email and am curious as to whether the majority  of
you are now adding this test to your screening process prior to  breeding?

Here is the email I received - "I am in the process of  searching for the
"perfect" German Shepherd for my family. My search has  brought me to your
web site.

A major concern for me and my  family is that any prospective puppy (and
parents) have been Flash tested  negative for Degenerative  Myelopathy
http://neuro.vetmed.ufl.edu/dm_flash_test_web/index.htm

Are  your dogs tested for this condition? It is such a devastating  condition
that I do not understand why more breeders are not addressing the  issue.

Please let me know if you test for DM. - signed Gil  Rosen"

Mine are not.  I did my homework and went to the site and gave  this some
very serious consideration when I first learned of the test.  (I  have two dogs
in the 4th and 5th generation of a particular pedigree that  started to loose
their rear, one bitch at 13, one bitch at 15...now DM...other  issues...or just
old age???  I have no idea....or do we just do a happy  dance and celebrate
that they were healthy and enjoyed a fantastic life to that  point???)  Anyway,
I was interested and took a closer look.....

I suggest everyone do the same:)

When reading the description the test, based on the presence of an allele,
you'll note the phrases "we suspect", "may predispose", "suggesting".   Reading
further, some dogs who have the same/similar issues (Corgis and  Ridgebacks)
don't even have this particular allele.

What cinched my decision to wait for better testing is that if you keep
reading ONLY 25% OF THE DOGS DIAGNOSED WITH DM HAVE THIS PARTICULAR  MARKER.
So,
what good is the test, I wondered?  Put another way you  can look at dogs who
actually have DM and 75% will test negative????

I think it's super that research is being done, but for me, we're way too
early in the process with this particular test to attach any sort of validity
 the results.

When puppy people ask about specific issues, it's usually because they've
been down that particular road.  While I'm sensitive to what they've been
through, all I can do is my best to avoid certain (known)issues within
pedigrees.
These folks are concerned with DM, and that is their right, but
unfortunately 100 other things can happen.  That doesn't mean I take a  "s**t
happens"
attitude, far from it!  I do all I can and pray hard  that any puppy that
leaves
here dies peacefully in its sleep at 14. Right  now though, this particular
test for DM isn't there yet.

BTW, I think it's a little over the top that these people wanted the  parents
AND puppy tested.  How soon would you test the baby puppy that they  could
take it home at 8 weeks and good Lord, what else do they want it tested  for
<G>?

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_