[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Testing and who is paying the bill

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Showgsd-l' <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx, rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 17:00:28 -0700 (PDT)

Ok back in Oregon city again....

I have a question for all those in the know. Doesn't the AKC have to approve
all this testing? Are we to play by AKC rules if we want to award poijts at dog
shows?
Terry
From: David Fritsche <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Testing and who is paying the bill
To: "'Showgsd-l'" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, October 6, 2008, 11:36 AM

With all of the attention to this issue, I thought I would
review our standard and the AKC show rules to see just what
they say. I have copied them below for our consideration
along with a few comments.

Dave
FROM THE STANDARD:

Color
The German Shepherd Dog varies in color, and most colors are
permissible. Strong rich colors are preferred. Pale,
washed-out colors and blues or livers are serious faults. A
white dog must be disqualified.

Comments:
We do not have to worry about white dogs, they do not show
up at our shows; that is, I have not seen one there or they
are dyed really well.

I have not seen a blue or liver at a show for more years
than I care to acknowledge having lived. That leaved
washed-out colors, since the standard is dealing with the
overall color of the dog in this sentence and since I've
been around since Methuselah, I suspect that is targeting
the rare creams, and other varieties of blues, livers,
creams, off shades that have occurred in the past.

The phrase 'Strong rich colors are preferred' sets the tone
for the rest.

Note: 'Strong Rich' is a preference, not a fault, a serious
fault, a very serious fault or a disqualification. When
measured against other items in judging, such as movement
where any fault of movement is a very serious fault, the
better moving dog should get the nod regardless of color as
long as it is within the standard and qualified to show.
But, where the dogs are equal in other more weighty matters,
the rich dark dog should prevail as preferred.

It does not matter what the judge prefers, it matters what
the standard prefers.

AKC already addresses this and gives a procedure for
addressing it. If we desire to go beyond the already set
procedures we would probably have to:
1.      Show that they are being used and not working - Are
we using them, or do we have knowledge but are afraid to use
them?
2.      Show that the procedure we implement for our club
does not interfere with or bypass the procedure already in
place.

It is sort of like our states or any municipality passing a
law has to show that there it is not superseded by a greater
jurisdiction. Right now, there is a procedure so anything we
attempt may have been superseded. The question is, is the
procedure inadequate? To determine that we would have to
show that we are using it and it is not working.

Here is the AKC procedure:

SECTION 8-C. No dog shall be eligible to compete at any show
and no dog shall receive any award at any show in the event
the natural color or shade of natural color or the natural
markings of the dog have been altered or changed by the use
of any substance whether such substance may have been used
for cleaning purposes or for any other reason. Such cleaning
substances are to be removed before the dog enters the ring.
If in the judge's opinion any substance has been used to
alter or change the natural color or shade of natural color
or natural markings of a dog, then in such event the judge
shall withhold any and all awards from such dog, and the
judge shall make a note in the judge's book giving his
reason for withholding such award. The handler or the owner,
or both, of any dog or dogs from which any award has been
withheld for violation of this section of the rules, or any
judge who shall fail to perform his duties under this
section, shall be subject to disciplinary action.

SECTION 2. Any person who is handling a competing dog in the
ring in any conformation competition may then verbally
protest to the judge before every dog in the class has been
individually examined and individually gaited, alleging that
a dog being shown in the competition has a condition which
makes it ineligible to compete under Chapter 11, Section 8,
or Chapter 11, Section 8-C, of these rules or a condition
requiring disqualification under the standard for the breed;
except that a verbal protest alleging that the height or
weight or natural color and markings of a dog requiring its
disqualification under the breed standard or a determination
of its ineligibility under the conditions of its class must
be made under Chapter 14, Sections 3, 4 or 6.

When such a protest is made, it shall be the judge's
responsibility to examine the dog for the alleged condition.
If, following the examination the judge determines that
disqualification is required under Chapter 11, Section 8, or
under the breed standard, he shall mark the book
"disqualified" stating the reason. If the judge finds that
the protest is not sustained, he shall note in the judge's
book the condition protested and his findings. He shall not
obtain the opinion of the show veterinarian. If the judge
determines that the dog is ineligible to compete because of
violation of Chapter 11, Section 8C, he shall withhold any
award to the dog and mark the judge's book "Ineligible to
compete-award withheld," stating the reason for his
decision.

A dog determined by a judge to be ineligible to compete
under Chapter 11, Section 8-C, unless such determination is
based on the use of a substance only for cleaning purposes,
may not again be shown until an official record has been
made by The American Kennel 59

Club of its true color or markings. If the color and
markings of the dog as recorded are such as not to be a
disqualification under the standard of its breed, the dog's
show eligibility will be reinstated.

Scanned by iolo AntiVirus 1.5.5.5
http://www.iolo.com

is Copyrighted 2008.  All material remains the property of the original

PERMISSION
OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN, AND
IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE PROSECUTED.

is Copyrighted 2008.  All material remains the property of the original

MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS PERMISSION