[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Testicles

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: majapoodles@xxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 07:06:45 EST

Actually testicles form above the kidney and below the spine in a  fetus.
An undescended testicle therefore can sometimes be found there,  between
kidney and spine, if it isn't right above the scrotum.

Here is a wonderful link w/ illustrations:

_http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com/cryptorchidism.html#te
stis-drop_
(http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com/cryptorchidism.html#testis-drop)

Interestingly, we know now that testicles descend shortly before birth or
shortly after.  (Kind of shoots the idea of holding onto a male puppy w/
fingers crossed in the foot doesn't it?)  Now, not everybody can find them,
even some vets I know lol....

The vet I know who does laporoscopic surgeries has found the laporoscopic
technique quite useful for 'finding" an undescended testicle.  At least
he's not using the old "cut them and keep looking method".

Now the puppy "could" actually be a monorchid.  I remember years ago a
piece about that either being genetic or having something to do w/ # of females
 in a litter...who knows?

I'm sorry for the poodle owner....what a lot of vet care and  drama when it
could have been simpler.  Maybe they should show their  vet the diagrams....

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

In a message dated 2/11/2011 8:08:22 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
majapoodles@xxxxxx writes:

Hi
first off this is a Standard Poodle male.  We never  found the 2nd
testicle, we meaning the Vet also.  He was sold as a pet on  a neuter agreement
and
when they neutered him the Vet could only find 1  testicle.    Now they have
waited a few month and run a testosterone  test to see if it could still be
hidden somewhere.  The test was  negative.  The only other thing that they
can suggest is an  ultrasound.  Which I said should have been done in the
beginning before  they cut him from end to end.  Not really but you know what
I  mean.

Has anyone every had this happen or even heard of  it.

Thanks
Jeanne
POST  is Copyrighted 2011.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.