[ SHOWGSD-L ] Terms and elections, oh my

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 13:45:01 EDT

I went to the by-laws and tried to figure out what the terms of office  were,
and who decided to print it in 4 pt. type?  I did find the changes  and that
there were eight years allowed in two year terms. It is interesting  that it
made an exception for Helen Fisher who was allowed to finish her ninth  year.

The By-Laws did not define what was to be done if someone ran for another
office but had not finished out his or her term. So I turned to the Policy &
Procedure Manual. The P&P Manual says:  "Term of office for Board  members is
covered in the Bylaws."  This is just like practicing law.

The P&P Manual goes on to say, "If interpretation of the Bylaws is  needed,
or a construction of a particular provision, it is the function of the  Club's
Board of Directors. (As advised by the AKC 7/9/90).

But, the P&P Manual then goes on to say, "Running For A Second  Office:  That
a Board member at the end of the first year of a two year  term who is
running for another office need not resign from the primary  office."  Then it
goes
on to talk about Resignations.  It is  interesting that just before that, it
says the problem of interlocking  directorates between the GSDCA and the WDA
need to be investigated.

To me, the only interpretation of the issue  would be that  if someone runs
for another office and does not win, they would finish out their  term of
office that they had left.  Nothing says that, but it seems the  logical way to
read it.  Certainly they do not have to resign to run.

I think Gary and Tish are correct, and if a board member were to run for
office, and not win, they would not be precluded from finishing out their term
in the original office.

Evan
_Asgard German Shepherds_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament  come together