[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Temperment test

  • From: Ruth Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 20:59:57 -0700 (PDT)

I bet Bob Penny is turning over in his grave!

  There are very specific rules and standards - a dog either passes or not, not
passes if this or fails if that.

  If those actions were as described, that evaluator needs to be removed NOW.

  Ruth
ALL4MORIAH@xxxxxxx wrote:
  Ileana

That's kind of like AKC saying we don't need anymore judges. Club's should
be able to hire whoever they want.

I do think the program needs some work.

I was asked half way through my exercise who the breeder was of my dog. When
I told him , he said , Oh I know her and her mother. I felt a little
compromised after that.

I felt that my bitch did very well during the test except for the umbrella.
She took a little longer to come around than I would have liked, but was
steady on everything else.

Then at the end he said my score was marginal and did I plan to breed this
bitch. I said I hope to someday, to early to tell, she's only 14 months. He
said "then I will fail her". If I had promised to spay her he would pass her.
He
thought she needed a harder temperament to be in a GSD breeding program. I
said I understood where he was coming from, but the more I thought about it,
the more I was bothered.

I almost loaded up and drove home.

This bitch just passed the Herding instinct test with flying colors, with a
stranger working her.

She is sweet, willing to please and learns new things very fast. She prelims
excellent. I decided, this is One man's opinion. IF she does turn out to be
what I want, I will certainly breed her. There is a lot of worse things out
there to worry about than a bitch that leans up against a stranger to be
petted.

Maybe this test should be run like CGC with a different evaluator at each
post.

This was my first time and didn't really know what was expected of me or the
dog. Some said they were told to keep the dog in close and some said total
lose lead. I heard one evaluator tell the entrant to go fast over the tarp and
x pen , the next one had to do it over because she went to fast. I wasn't
told at all.

So just in my opinion the program needs some fine tuning. However I do think
it IS a good program and certainly has it's merits.

JMO Judi

http://mail.yahoo.com