[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Temperment Test Question

  • From: Sandra Kozub <skozub@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 09:47:15 -0500

>Joni,
>
>Yes, you are allowed to talk to your dog. No, you are not allowed to give
>any commands at all. If "watch em" is a learned command, it is not  allowed.
>
>Many times a handler distracts their dog by talking too much and this can
>hinder your dog. The dog can start to focus on you rather then the
>situation at
>hand. You may encourage your dog also, however too much encouragement can
>distract your dog also.
>
>The best thing to do is let your dog do what he wants, should your dog  loose
>interest or need encouragement, give it, when you get the reaction you  want
>praise your dog and move on. If your dog needs encouragement then yes you
>would get a lower score then the dog that didn't need it.
>
>Many people tend to talk too much when they are nervous, dogs can sense  that.
>
>Linda Chernak

Reminds me of my Aaron when we did his certification.   I've never had to
encourage
any of my dogs but he was a bit bored.   When we approached the umbrella they
opened it right in front of him.   He pulled his head back a little &
looked at it.
Deciding that it was "nothing important" he started looking around.   So, I
encouraged
him to touch the umbrella.   The tester said that although it was clear
that he was
not in the least hesitant, that he had to actually touch the
umbrella.   When I told him
to look at it & touch it, He looked at it, looked at me & with a very
disgusted look,
took his front paw & whapped it hard.   We got lots of laughes from the
audience.   Actually, he had very good scores :):)

Sandy
Sandra Kozub
KcK Kennels
http://iweb.tntech.edu/rkozub/kennel.htm