[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Temperament: "man made" or genetics

  • From: "Mike Gray" <mlgray@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 17:36:45 -0800

Barbara,
   I can say that I agree with 99 percent of what you wrote. I am still
considering the environmentally produced "nut case" being able to pass
that temperament along to its offspring. Our first GSD that we owned was
out of an imported working police dog. He had an excellent temperament
except that he ended up being dog aggressive. His sire was dog
aggressive and I had no indication that he would be that way until two
of the neighbors mixed breed dogs jumped him one day. Our youngest
daughter was walking him and when he was jumped it knocked her to the
ground. All of the prior socialization went out the window and I could
not trust him with very many dogs after that. I have no idea whether or
not the aggression would have shown up any way, but that sure brought it
to the surface.
Mike Gray