[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Temperament Tests at the National - Special Edition

  • From: pagairs@xxxxxxx
  • To: LauraEG@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 17:02:15 -0400

 Excellent response Laura, thank you.

 Gary Szymczak

 -----Original Message-----
 From: LauraEG@xxxxxxx
 To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Sent: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 3:26 PM
 Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Temperament Tests at the National - Special Edition

In a message dated 7/13/2006 11:11:39 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
inflight2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I  have been disgusted by this over and over again.  When you have a dog  who
shows "no" reaction to the Umbrella test and passes - that's a  problem.

There are exceptions to every rule.  Perhaps a dog lives in an  apartment,
his owner walks him and uses an umbrella every time in the  rain.  Why would
that animal react to an umbrella, been there, done that,  no big deal.  They
don't fail, they get a zero for a non reaction.  If  they run, and don't
recover,
that fails them.  I have seen dogs yawn during  the gun test, that is a zero,
a non reaction.  What is being judged is  recovery from reaction.  Some see
the umbrella blow up in their faces, and  then recover instantly, because they
have just swallowed the umbrella!   Some will turn and give the gunman a very
dirty look, and continue to watch  them, some bark, some don't, some have
already surmised that we are all crazy,  but they love us in spite of ourselves.

These are very smart dogs, unfortunately some of our very smart dogs have
idiots for owners..............

JMHO
Laura Gilbert
Chesapeake VA