[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Temperament Tests at the National - Special Edition

  • From: Stephen Reierstad <wmj1944@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TishWalker5@xxxxxxx, Showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 20:33:45 -0700 (PDT)

TishWalker5@xxxxxxx wrote:

  You can bet they'd react
differently if you were out on the street with them and a real drunk approached.

  This is true!!  I had to drop a friend at the Hospital one night last winter
and took along our big German/American male, Tacoma,  just because he loves to
ride in the car.  Before heading home, I took the dog out for a quick "Pit
Stop" in the parking lot, and a particularly aggressive drunk started to come
up to me yelling at me to give him some money.  Tacoma knew even before I did
that the guy was trouble, and he was ready to have the drunk for an
after-dinner snack.  I told him to "Stay" and then told the drunk to get lost
or I'd let the dog loose.  The drunk took one look at Tacoma in full pre-attack
mode, teeth bared, hackles up, ears back, growling, and said "Holy s**t I'm
outta here.  Dont let that dog go."
  There was some ice in the parking lot, and the drunk slipped and fell, and I
started laughing at him scrambling and struggling to get up.  That just made
the drunk yell and curse even more.  That got Tacoma even more riled up.  Then
the security guard, who had seen the whole thing on his Monitor appeared.
Tacoma had no problem with the Guard, but he still wanted a piece of the Drunk.
 I got him back into the car, and I drove past the Guard, then the Drunk, on
the way out of the Parking Lot.  Tacoma had no reaction when we passed the
Guard, but he tried to go through the window at the Drunk.  He could tell the
difference between the "Good Guy" and the "Bad Guy," and he was ready to do his
job and go after the "Bad Guy."
  I later learned that the drunk broke his arm when he fell on the ice and
wound up in the Emergency Room before he got thrown in jail for disorderly
conduct.  So I guess Tacoma gets the credit for nailing him without even
putting a tooth on him!!
  Steve

Visit Two Feathers German Shepherds online at http://www.wmj1944.com
Website updated 6/13/2006.
"If you invite the Wolf to Dinner, then don't get mad when he eats something."
- Unknown