[ SHOWGSD-L ] Temperament Test...and Obscenity not want we meant

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 13:26:27 EDT

carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I feel  that the LLT test is not for us shepherd folks, but for
those who actually  do not know our breed.

We did ourselves a lot of harm by demanding the test.

I have met with a number of all-breed judges who did not or do not know our
 breed. They received a letter years ago from the parent club asking for a
special temperament test. They have taken that to mean we have a real
temperament problem in our breed, and some of the more stupid one think our
breed is to be feared.

A couple of weeks ago I had Summer take Honey Be Good into an all-breed
ring. She was in front to go in, and the judge had her go behind the other
bitch, (a very good one, but prior to judging). The judge then went to the
ring  steward and said:  "If the dogs get into a fight, be sure to grab the
kid."  I was standing next to the entry ring so I overheard it. The judge
then went ahead and seemed shocked to see Summer handle the bitch.  She  asked
Summer where her mother was, and Summer told her it was not her bitch, and
she knew how to handle her. I almost jumped up and said:  "Good  answer."
But, I kept my mouth shut, (which is normal for me).  The  other bitch also
needed one point to finish and was a super bitch.  But,  the judge clearly
did not understand out breed.

We need to educate the judges out there, (not the specialty judges) that
while temperament is the first thing in our standard, that does not mean our
dogs are going to attack first chance the get.  Well, not all of them
anyway.

I don't know how to fix it, but the "Rule of unintended consequences"  had
taken over.

Evan  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament  come together