[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Temperament Test...and Obscenity

  • From: Kathy Tank <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ELG440@xxxxxxx, "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 14:57:12 -0700

Our temperament tests both LLT and TC are not perfect, not any means.
It is not often that me or my dog are approached by a perfect or imperfect
stranger in a park, whereupon said stranger expects the dog to walk up and
behave appropriately.
It can vary from us walking up to a group of folks, and the dog may get a
scritch on the head.  Or we may be descended upon by squealing, smiling,
hugging, petting , grabbing small children.   The LLTT in the ring is far
from "real world", but it is the best we can do in the few seconds of time
we have to decide whether a dog is sound ...ish.
For myself, and Ken as well, we prefer a tough dog.  Some of our very
toughest, hardest dogs, are ironically some of our dogs that are the most
doting and lovable and cuddly to our children and to us.
These are dogs that are directly responsible for the safety of all in this
home, and for me, when I go out to the nether regions, where neither cell
phone signal or help can be found, but plenty of questionable situations
could arise....from both two legged and four legged sources.  These are also
the dogs that protect our van and our softer or younger dogs, when we are on
the road.
Nitro was an excellent guardian of my purse...moving it to the back of his
crate, and DARING anyone to touch it.  lololol

I like soft dogs, and all variations on the theme.  There is no one best
type of temperament, for every situation .   Fortunately for us, our
standard accepts all arrays of ooshy-gooshy sweet to eat-your- face type of
temperament, as long as it is warranted, lol.

Big departure from our Ovcharka and her temperament...which is 100% true to
the standard of the breed which is..." extremely distrustful of and FIERCE
towards strangers".   Not ideal when you are entertaining at your home, for
sure.  But absolutely perfect as a property, livestock or personal
guardian.  But with the singular toughness of a CORRECT ovtcharka, you had
better not only bring your A-game....you'd better keep it.  lol

GSDs....love em all.
Kathy Tank