[ SHOWGSD-L ] Temperament Test/One More Opinion

  • From: DaniaKarloff@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:53:19 EST

A lot has been written about the temperament  test/evaluation.  The question
posed  to the GSDCA board is whether to suspend it or broaden its scope.  And
please understand that this vote  will no be saying that the board is/is not
in support of good temperament. The  board is unanimous in their desire for
good sound GSD temperament.  I cannot imagine anyone who has lived  with a
German
Shepherd Dog that would not be in favor of good sound  temperament.
The question posed to us is whether we should mandate ONE specific  method of
assessing sound GSD temperament and whether  all GSD judges are knowledgeable
and able to follow this  ONE prescribed procedure.  It is of  interest to
note that almost every national show judge in the last five years  has received
some criticism for not following the test to the letter.  If our best judges
are being criticized  for not administering the test correctly, can we direct
all breed judges to do  it and expect proper results?
Rather than mandate ONE prescribed test with specific  directions about
distance, timing, sequence, etc, we should emphasize education  about what is
proper GSD temperament.  And in the process, make sure that we donâ??t have
judges
who believe: (1)  that staring at a dogâ??s eyes is a good way to assess
temperament; (2) that  stalking the dog in the middle of the ring is correct;
(3)
judges who get overly  friendly and slap side and embrace the dog; (4) that
test
puppies as if they  were adults; (5) that think GSD should greet them and kiss
them like their long  lost friend; (6) judges who want to take the leash away fr
om the handler to see  if the dog is sound â?¦..  None of  these procedures are
correct.  The  GSD standard clearly says â??The breed has a distinct
personality marked by direct  and fearless, but not hostile, expression,
self-confidence, and a certain  aloofness that does not lend itself to
immediate and
indiscriminate  friendshipsâ?¦.â??
I support education for all judges.   I support a contract with national and
futurity judges with recommended guidelines (not specific, step-by-step
directions) for a loose lead temperament test at these events.  I do not
endorse
mandating this ONE  process for all breed judges until we have an educational
program in place that  guarantees that these judges know, understand and are
capable of administering a  proper temperament evaluation.
ANDâ?¦. Let us not forget that the GSDCA has a Temperament  Certificate program
that promotes good, sound GSD temperament through a series  of tests ranging
from meeting a stranger in the street to testing for gun  shyness and showing
protective instincts.  We need to promote this program, encourage our regional
clubs to offer TC  tests, advertise it and reward exhibitors who participate.

It should not be about mandatingâ?¦ it should be about education,
understanding and knowledge.
Dania