[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Temperament Test at Futurity/Maturity

  • From: Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx
  • To: cherlyngsd@xxxxxxxxx, cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, Gsdbroon@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 23:50:09 EDT

Lyn,

Perhaps you missed D.D.'s point that if you (or the observer) are NOT in
the middle of the ring, you cannot have the same experience or be aware of
all  that the judge does see.  Any observer's view is skewed by that
difference  and, perhaps, that's why this whole "observation" program is
failing
miserably.  From outside the ring, you may see a dog that is standing his
ground and allowing the individual exam; the judge may see the
fear/hostility/pick-your-poison in the dog's eyes.  The dog that has been
trained to stand
for exam doesn't necessarily represent good temperament.   The dog who moves
and shifts and breaks his stack doesn't necessarily represent  poor
temperament.  The judge and the observer are dealing with the  proverbial
apples
and oranges and, until we find a more workable solution, we  need to allow the
individual making the decisions to make them based upon what  he or she
experiences, one on one, with the dog being judged.
jmo,
Diane

Diane  Silver-Strasser
Silstra German Shepherds
_Skatiebug'z_ (http://skatiebugz.shutterfly.com/)  The online store for
everything German Shepherd and then some!
_http://skatiebugz.blogspot.com_ (http://skatiebugz.blogspot.com/)
Skater's Blog

In a message dated 5/3/2011 8:08:48 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
cherlyngsd@xxxxxxxxx writes:

The dogs  are being excused because of poor temperament in the opinion of
the
judge  that has excused them. My question would be .... if the "observer
wasn't
there, would those dogs still have been excused or would they have been in
the
ribbons?
Several years ago I was at a Futurity as an exhibitor and  watched the
judge
constantly grab the leash so that they could touch the  dog. That is NOT
loose
lead. Those dogs were avoiding the judge and that  judge didn't seem to be
concerned about an "observer: being present.

Until poor temperament is faulted and handled as a"serious" fault,  above
all
else, I feel there is a need for "observers". We are here to  protect and
promote
the future of our breed not the judges'.

Lyn  Chernak

"Having an observer
puts unnecessary pressure on the  judge because a negative report has the
possibility of that judge being  sanctioned by the the parent club.  I
think many dogs are excused for  temperament because of the presence of
the observer.  Someone correct  me if I am wrong.  I no longer support
the observer program and think  it needs to be eliminated.   D.D. "

Lyn  Chernak
CherLyn Shepherds - Updated June  06,2010

http://www.cherlynshepherds.com
Three Generations ~ GSDCA 13  Club ~ Membership
CherLyn's Dixie, BH, CDX, RAE, TC, HIC,  CGC
Ulric vom Kriegerhaus, RN, TC, CGC