[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Temperament Test at Futurity/Maturity

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, Gsdbroon@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 07:36:04 EDT

I think when you sit in a particular location (I did!) and the judge does
control his/ her ring and marks a spot for the handlers to bring the dog
then  drop the lead, CONTROLS DOUBLING DURING THE TEST, it's pretty easy to see
who  the bad actors are.  Of course you have to watch closely and that
means no  chatting w/ friends during certain parts of the class and "NO!" you
can't have  my catalog lol.

I was instructed to introduce myself to the judge before the show began and
 if things weren't going according to plan I was to speak to the judge
during  judging.

We had no issues <G>.  Again, it was easy to see from where I  was and bad
actors weren't rewarded and a few were (deservingly IMO)  excused.

The report was completed and went back to Jim.  I know from experience
though that some judges/evaluators take the whole issue seriously and others
reward less than stellar temperament.  If the answer to disband the program
or to get new judges/evaluators?  Who knows?

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

In a message dated 5/2/2011 9:55:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Viv  states 'There is an observer at each Fut/Mat."  There in lies the
problem.  When I was on the Fut. Committee, each Fut/Mat judge was  given
a contract that stated they would do the loose lead temperament  exam.
They were also given a tape of the procedure.  Now I guess it  is a DVD.
The observer (I was the first one and I originally thought it  was a good
idea) is given a form to fill out after the judging.  It  basically asked
three questions: one, was the loose lead temperament exam  done properly,
two, were there any dogs who showed questionable  temperament and
thirdly, did the judge award any of the questionable dogs  with a
placing?  I decided that I, sitting at ringside, was not  qualified to
answer the questions to the best of my ability.  I  thought the judge was
in charge of the ring and had the best advantage  when it came to
answering these questions.  I asked the judge and the  judge said that
the test was done properly, several dogs were questionable  and no awards
were given to these dogs.
In my opinion, the observer is  not in a position to answer the
questions.  Anyone who had judged  will agree that many things happen in
the ring that is not seen or noticed  by ringside.  Having an observer
puts unnecessary pressure on the  judge because a negative report has the
possibility of that judge being  sanctioned by the the parent club.  I
think many dogs are excused for  temperament because of the presence of
the observer.  Someone correct  me if I am wrong.  I no longer support
the observer program and think  it needs to be eliminated.    D.D.
POST  is Copyrighted 2011.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.