[ SHOWGSD-L ] Temperament Test (and Committee)- LONG

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: TotalDogman@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 15:37:52 EST

Jim....

First, thanks a lot for your response, and the opportunity for  discussion.

I see the new year is already bringing changes.  Congratulations  to Joanna
Rand as our latest Apprentice for the TT.

Kudos to you and the board on implementing the "TT Evaluators Seminar".  That
is a huge step in the right direction.  I guess we will see more on  the
Board-O-Gram or Minutes.

Lets deal with what I consider an issue of structure.  It is totally  vague
to say that "It takes a long time".  There needs to be a plan.   It would be
far more effective, for the apprentices and the program, to  develop a system,
they must attend so many seminars, so many tests, and achieve  so many passing
evaluations before they can move from (lets just say) Assistants  to Junior
Apprentices, and then so many more before they can be Senior  Apprentices, and
then on to Evaluators and then Senior  Evaluators.  That would give people a
better idea on how long they  need to plan, and it would be a better plan than
just "it takes forever".   Nothing last forever, nothing should take forever.
Maybe the policies need  to be reviewed. Maybe even re-written.

I offer the following schedule as a suggestion:
1- Applicant must attend a seminar to become assistants.
2- Assistants must work at 2 tests before becoming Junior  Apprentices.
3- Junior Apprentices must assist an Evaluator at 2 Test before becoming
Senior Apprentices.
4- Senior Apprentices must assist a Senior Evaluator at 2-4 tests before
becoming an Evaluator.
5- Evaluators must assist different Senior evaluators in 2-4 tests before
performing evaluations on their own.
6- Evaluators must perform 6-8 evaluations before applying for Senior
Evaluator status.

Then, to qualify for Senior Evaluator, an Evaluator must meet these
conditions......x-y-z.

A plan such as this give people an idea of what they are getting themselves
into. If the PC had 10 tests a year, a person could potentially become an
evaluator within 3-5 years, a reasonable time. Not "forever".

There should be 2-3 Evaluators per Region. That would insure plenty of
evaluators for the clubs, far more accessible and cost effective.  We  should
not
be in a position of needing evaluators and not having them. Ever. And  this way
no club is ever "wised-up" to the same evaluator over and over.

We cant be blind to the cost factor, it is ever present.  Increasing  the fee
is not the only solution, if a solution at all. Ask those who are  paying.
The clubs still need to fly, house and feed the Evaluators  for the weekend.
And if the club doesn't achieve the minimum entries, who  suffers?  If one
evaluator has an emergency, another is within the area to  step in. Murphy's
Law,
as you put it.  You cant expect clubs to hold a  TT if they are going to go
broke.

You say there are not enough tests to even keep busy the current  evaluators.
Lets say we have 9 Tests, one per Region.  Clubs who are  holding Futurity
weekends need to be encouraged and supported by the Parent Club  to offer a TT
on the same weekend.  This would also afford many apprentices  to attend and
continue their hands on training. And then there is the National.  That is 10
test within the year.  With Futurities listed so far ahead of  time, everyone
has a better chance to plan to attend. If an apprentice cant  attend 2-4 in a
year, then this is not the right time for them to work at  this.

Add to that independent clubs offering a TT, and now you have a recipe for
success.

The Committee needs more Senior Evaluators. While those are developing,  will
the PC foot the bill for the current ones to be present at the current  tests
to supervise the upcoming apprentices?  It is an investment on the  club and
the breed, a short term expense for a long time solution. Golden  opportunity
to teach. And leading by example:  Do the Senior Evaluators  believe in the
program enough to take on this task?  Should this be a  requirement?  Or is all
the work to be done by the Apprentices?

Why did people leave the program?  Could it be because there was no  end in
sight for them to finish their training?  It is completely  unrealistic to
expect people to continue training "forever".  If within the  first 3-4 runs
they
don't show the aptitude for the job, then realize that,  address that problem
and move on. Either have more intensive training, or  separate them.  It is
really that simple, it doesn't need to be complicated  at all.

Nuances???  We are dealing with DOGS, not robots. I would expect there  would
BE nuances.  Anyone living with dogs deals with daily nuances.

I doesn't take "forever" to test the dogs, and we are supposed to be
smarter..... this is not rocket science.......<G>......The test itself is  made
of
variables to deal with those "subtle nuances" you spoke of.

I think a little bit of focus is in order.

Why are energy and resources spent on a "Guardians of the Breed"  program,
which in essence we are ALL supposed to be, when the TT program is not  living
to its full potential?   Why not concentrate on developing and  improving the
TT program since, for example,  all the Selects need that  title to achieve
their AOE, and even the proposed AOA. I don't see Guardian of  the Breed as a
requirement for that prestigious title.
Do we need a Guardian of the Breed Committee?  Is this part of the TT
committee?

Showlines or European working lines?  Please explain to me how THAT  relates
to the Temperament Test?  I think you are stretching yourself  too thin and
losing focus. Many show dogs are doing performance work. Read the  Review.  But
that is besides the point. This Committee was not formed to  solve all the
problems of the breed, but to offer and execute Temperament Tests  for the
membership and their dogs.  If you want to talk working lines, we  can totally
have
that conversation.... Later. That is not the issue we are  trying to address
NOW.  We are not privy to animals careers and pedigrees  when they are running
thru the TT.  Or we shouldn't be.

Who is observing the TT at shows/futurities?  Where is the  accountability?
What kind of follow up and follow thru is in effect?   Are the tests being
recorded for evaluation and/or training?

My suggestions come from experience. Training is what I do for a living.
Identify the personnel that is teachable and coachable and move them up.
Those
who cant, they need to be encouraged in a different direction, not hold on  to
them to the detriment of the program, and ultimately of the breed.  Open  the
application process and be fair to all those applying.  Even if you  don't
like them, is about the dogs, right?? Heaven forbid this committee becomes  a
"clique".   Ultimately, like judges, the membership will speak about  who they
think is doing a good job.

I have worked the Test and tested my dogs. Evaluators that suck?  I've  never
seen one personally, I tested my dogs under Peggy Douglas, Bob Penny and
Dick Whalen, assisted by Kay Springer and Russ Osburn. I guess I was  lucky.
But
I will forward your message to clubs who have had that  unfortunate
experience.

I think you can tell I have put a lot of thought into this.  Initiative? It
is a communication process, you cant initiate anything if  you are getting no
response.

Once again, I am offering my assistance. I told you in Beaumont, I  would
love to participate in the program. Obviously, I am not giving up.  I  cant
imagine any one would think this Committee doesn't need help. Am I too  blunt?
Indeed.  I call it like I see it.

I'll be happy to help. You know where to find me.

Have a great day.

Ileana

In a message dated 1/27/2009 12:29:06 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, Total Dog
man writes:

Ileanna  and all, increasing the evaluators does not increase the tests. As a
matter of  fact I don't have enough work for the Evaluators we have. We need
to encourage  the clubs to have more tests. that's the only way we can have
Tests. We have  been addressing this issue. We have increased the fee making it
more  profitable for the clubs. We have an Evaluator in every area of the
country with the exception of Southern California. For Now Its being covered
by
Gene Gray from Arizona and Dalene McIntire from Oregon. When Joanna Rand is
ready she will help. Evaluators, Recently we have had three people leave
apprentice program because of various conflicts. It takes a long time to
become an
Evaluator, this is complicated by the lack of tests. Beside the  obvious the
test consists of subtle nuances. You don't demonstrate an ability  to pick up
on these in one ore two tests. An Evaluator candidate must show  some
initiative. As an Evaluator there will always be conflicts. ( Murphy's  Law) we
want
people who will opt for the test unless its a very serious  matter. Evaluator's
"Who Suck" as you put it. I would hope that if there is  someone who you feel
this way about you would bring it to our attention. It is  our intention to
make this a credible respected test, to that end our board  has funded an
evaluators seminar that we are working on now (in addition to  the futurities).
If
you will allow me to editorialize. We have put on  Guardians of the breed
seminars, if we are to be Guardians of the breed what  is more important to the
breed than temperament. When was the last time you  saw a "Showline " GSD
American or European working in any capacity?   Historically we went to the
shows to
pick our breeding stock WE must  emphasize Temperament. WE have good
temperament in our dogs we must breed for  it reward it and not compromise it.
thanx
for lettin me ramble regards  Jim

Ileana
steps!