[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Teddy Bear!

  • From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:52:46 -0700 (PDT)

Barbara, my family is big bear hunters (blech) and let me assure you that the
bear will be more afraid of you than you are of him.  Just remember to make
lots of noise when you walk....singing works....or talking to the dogs.  You
should be just fine, but if you hear that grunting and crunching of leaves
behind you (and you will if only in your imagination).....don't run, some bears
are just plain bad, and they do like a good chase.

  You can forget about dogs keeping them away, black bear are attracted to dogs
for some reason, they must smell like a foe that needs to be chased away so
they are more inclined to come investigate when you have dogs.

  Cindy

  PS - Take comfort in knowing that you are more likely to get hit by a car in
the city, then attacked by a bear in the country. :o)

Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I live in New York......the tri-state area in the foothills of the
Catskill mountains.....out in the country. Three states border one
another here.....New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Three days ago,
I had to go to Pa. for my niece's wedding shower. It was probably about
1 1/2 hours from where I live. On the way back home, I looked to the
right of me in an open field that abutted to a wooded area. I saw a
very large black animal. At first I thought it was a very large black
dog. On second glance.....I realized that wasn't any big black dog. It
was a big black bear! OMG, I've lived in the country most of my life
and never once seen a bear of any kind. Thank God! The car that was
behind me, pulled over to the side of the road to observe this most
magnificent animal. I wish that I had also. He was so majestic
standing out in the field. I'll probably never see one
again............although if I do, I don't want to see him up close and
personal!
Some of you might remember me writing how I used to take my Amber up on
the mountains for walks and exercise that runs behind my mother's
property. I'd like to do the same thing with her pups probably some
time in November when the tick season lays dormant, but will I be
exchanging one danger (ticks) for another (bears)? When do they go in
to hibernation? Is this something that I would have to worry about?
Has anyone ever encountered a bear? Ever had your dogs with you?
Best, Barbara

--
Barbara J. Galasso
CHIEFTAINS GERMAN SHEPHERDS

POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original