[ SHOWGSD-L ] Tape Puppy ears re:ear question

  • From: "chsweetsun" <chsweetsun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Castle Kennels" <castlegsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 19:40:23 -0500

HI Pat,
It was suggested that I send this to the Show list so I am copying it to that
also.
Supplies needed:
Extra Large sponge curlers, or Pipe insulation-this will need to be cut smaller
we use 3/4 the tube cut into an ear shape.
Ear Glue is either Ostomy Glue from a medical supply store, or Tear Mender
Adhesive- this is for Cloth Tarps and can usually get it in a Hardware store.
Sports tape, 2 inch size.  Duck Tape
 First Cleanse the ear with Alcohol squeezed out of a cotton ball. BE sure to
cleanse the ear very good.
Paint the curler or tube first with the glue then do the inside of the dogs
ear.  The glue gets tacky in about 30 seconds.  We usually have 3 people doing
this next part.  Start with the inner part of the ear and take the Sports tape
and curl that soft part of the ear backward and wrap the tape around the
outside ear back around the front across the curler or tube.  Wrap 2-3 pieces.
Curling the soft part of the ear will assure you that you don't end up with
bonnet ears.  (Taught by Joan Ford).  Then take and tape the ears upright by
taking sports tape and wrapping around both ears with a bridge between that is
approximately 2 inches.  We then take Duck Tape wrap it around the sports tape
because it holds much better, and yet you don't want to use this directly on
their fir.  I tape a dogs ear about 4-41/2 mths old, and do it for 3 weeks.  I
check the ears daily by smelling them and cleaning the inside bottom with a
cotton swab squeezed out with alcohol.  Take tapes off after 3 weeks, let out
for only 1 day, if not up or set right, go back into tapes again for 3 weeks.
During this 3 weeks the pups are given raw soup bones frozen to chew on.  Some
people give supplements of Vit C and Glucosamine, but I usually don't.
Tari Kridler  - http://members.aol.com/kridlersgsd
Home of 2003 Amer. & Can. GVX Ch. Kridler's Ruby & her father 2 x Sel. Ch.
Kridler's Quno
  ** Introducing - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CHGermanShepherdShowDogsList
all are welcome**