[ SHOWGSD-L ] Talk of many things

  • From: <nhansburgh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 18:22:07 +0000

1. First Cornell my Alma Mater 27-4 for the season is going to the Big dance
for the third year in a row. Their first game is Friday at noon. Go Big Red
show them that smart kids can play ball too!

2. The Futurities: I have been going to the Futurities since 1965. Back then
there were six regoins. This changed in 1969 after the 1968 Eastern Futurity
drew 450 entries and had three judges. In those days Breeders and owners won
enough money to pay for handlers and then some. During the seventies until I do
not know when ROM points were awarded to the winners in each region. About ten
years ago they went to giving reserve winners so that there would be 72 entries
at the Futurity finals. During the last twenty years entries have gotten so low
that we now have less then 100
entries per region. This despite good hearted attempts to create the amateur
futurities. For twenty years I keep suggesting the same thing and for twenty
years they keep ignoring it. We need to go back to six regions with two judges
centrally located for the region. We need to split the futurity
into two parts. Part one for NOVICE BReeders who have never bred a champion and
part two for Breeders who have.Its a breeders showcase. Many futurity winners
have never finished for many reasons. Like many of our systems they often
encourage people to do things that are not having a positive influence on the
breed.

3. EGO trips by handlers board members or breeders are bad for the breed.
Personal vendettas are bad for the breed. Political Football is bad for the
breed.Just because somehing worked well one year does not mean that it should
become a permanent part of our show requirements. Last year three quarters of
the stalls at the National were empty. I have seen several places that would be
lovely for all of us. Just my opinion for what 47 years of experience are worth.
--
norma hansburg
www.normahansburg.com