[ SHOWGSD-L ] Talk about a one-horse town......

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 16:58:16 -0400

Shared by Peggy

I know this is a story way off topic...but this town needs letters written
to help this animal and person out anyone who can find the time and has the
heart,
 maybe it'll help this old man and his horse.

Neb. town wants Peter Rabbit, the aging horse, out
From Associated Press
August 13, 2008 8:21 PM EDT
HICKMAN, Neb. - Talk about your one-horse town. This burg of 1,084 souls is
just that. But some folks don't want that distinction. They want an aging
horse named Peter Rabbit, who lives in a pasture in town, gone for good.
Other folks say the horse should stay, despite an ordinance that bans
livestock inside city limits.

"I feel bad for the poor horse. He's probably going to die soon anyway,"
said Jamie Cox, who manages the town bar, Sadie's Place. "As long as he's
being taken care of, they should leave him alone."

Hickman, once a sleepy farm town, has become a bedroom community for the
capital city of Lincoln and is one of the fastest-growing cities in
Nebraska.

With houses having sprung up around Peter Rabbit's pasture, Mayor Jim Hrouda
and five of the six City Council members are determined to enforce the
livestock ban. Shortly after a council meeting Tuesday, the horse's owner,
76-year-old Harley Scott, was served an eviction notice that orders the
animal off the land.

Scott said he has no intention of complying with the Sept. 15 deadline. He
faces the prospect of being fined up to $100 a day if he's convicted of
violating the ordinance.

Longtime council member Robert Harms said the livestock ordinance dates to
1988. Harms said another horse, not owned by Scott, was removed shortly
after the ordinance passed. Harms said allowing Peter Rabbit to stay would
make it difficult to keep other livestock out.

Scott said he has raised Peter Rabbit since the brown Morgan-quarter horse
crossbreed was born in his pasture in the spring of 1976. Scott said there
have been horses on the land since his father bought 40 acres in 1935.

Only about 4 acres remain in the family. The rest has been sold to
developers.

Scott's land was annexed in 2006, but Harley said no one said anything to
him at the time about having to give up the horse.

Scott said Peter Rabbit, who is as healthy as a 32-year-old horse can be, is
too old to move. Horses have a life expectancy of 25 to 30 years.

"He could drop dead today," Scott said. "I would prefer to have him remain
as stable as he is and be able to enjoy his life. I like to go out and pet
him. It's just a matter of feeding and petting him. I would be totally lost
at the point where he disappears from the scene."

---

On the Net:

City of Hickman: http://www.hickman.ne.gov/