[ SHOWGSD-L ] Taking the "fun" out of a fun match...

  • From: "Laurie Pruett" <pruett@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 20:18:08 -0400

Tonight, in Ballston Spa, we entered several youngsters in the puppy fun match
that the club put on after BIS.  Since I don't handle,  Ariel and I recruited a
couple of young inexperienced teenagers to help us show  our untrained puppies.
The fun kinda went out of it, though, for the kids when a group of adults
LOUDLY clapped, hooted, and cheered for the GSD puppy shown by their
professional handler with no support from that group for the kids.

We wonder why entries are falling and why it's difficult to bring young people
into our breed, but after the display I saw tonight at a fun match, I don't
wonder at all.  It makes me sad...

BTW, during breed judging today Houston Clark addressed the crowd about the
uneven clapping that was going on outside of the ring and told spectators NOTto
clap for any animal unless they clapped for every animal.  The clapping by
handler groups that goes on at the GSD ring is very off-putting for newcomers
and owner-handlers in our breed.  As, as seasoned as I am in the dog world, I
find the practice disheartening.  It's too bad we continue to behave this way -
we're our own worst enemies when it comes to keeping the sport of showing GSD's
in conformation alive.

As always, this is JMO...

Laurie Pruett