[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Tail hair eating

  • From: genoaktortoise@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: campaignersgsd@xxxxxxxxx, "Showgsd-L@Freelists. Org" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 22:48:32 +0000

My advice is to BREAK her of that habit any way that you can or find her
another home!. The only reason that I say this is because I have been there,
done that. I had a bitch that would chase her tail, catch it and bite it until
it would bleed. It did not matter what I put on it from something tasting nasty
to hot sauce. Nothing would stop her from doing it. She had all kinds of toys
and other dogs to play with. It just did not matter. I took her to a dog
psychiatrist ( please do not laugh everyone ) at $ 80.00 an hour. His advice to
me was to put a shock collar on her and shock her every time that she did it to
make her think that her tail was doing that to her. I really did not want to do
that to her. I corrected her every time but she never did stop it. I finally
placed her in a home when she was five years old. I told the woman who took her
everything about her so that she knew what she was getting into.She chased her
tail and bit it until she was an old girl. Myself, I w
 ould n
ever keep another dog that had this habit because I cannot stand to see them
hurt themselves like that

Amy Greenhut
Justrock Shepherds
Leopard Tortoises